This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

gps speed lag

When I'm not using the wheel sensor, gps speed lag is pretty significant. 3+ seconds.  When I come to a stop, I can watch the speed decrease from say 10mph to 0, notching down over like 3 seconds. Then it finally auto-pauses (I have that setting on).  Never saw this on my 130plus!  Speed was always perceptively real-time.  anyone else seeing this?  1040 v12.15

• Yes, I think I’m seeing this as well. I’m coming from a 1000 and the 1040 gps speed seems to be lagging as compared to the 1000. I haven’t compared them side by side though. I may try that later this week. 

• I wonder if this could be related to the delay time when resuming from auto pause.  if ther is a delay in seeing the speed change, they there will naturally be a delay resuming from pause.

• volklg40 did you try ?

• Yes, the main problem is the speed lag, and the auto pause lag comes from this. It seems as there would be a few seconds filter time on the gps measurement, and this is the reason why it responds to the speed changes so slowly.

• As mentioned in another thread. Garmin are aware of this and are working the issue.

• That's great news!  Super to see this acknowledged.  I'll try and locate that thread.

• Julian – thanks for the bump. I finally compared the 1040 and 1000 today. Results were a little strange. Speed changes on the 1040 did generally lag the 1000 by I’d say 5 to 8 seconds. The strange thing though was that occasionally, the 1040 was spot on with the 1000. That happened a minority of the time and I didn’t see much rhyme or reason as to why it was happening. I was pretty much in the open so it wasn't interference from trees or buildings.

It seems though like the 1040 was better with quick accelerations and decelerations.  If I accelerated steadily from say 10mph to 20mph over say 15 seconds, the 1040 almost always seemed to lag the 1000 by closer to 8 seconds. I’ll note that this was highly unscientific, just me guestimating while riding.

Glad to hear Garmin is working on a fix.

• I should add that the 1000 was solid as always. It lagged actual speed changes by 1 to 3 seconds I'd guess and that never changed. When speed changes on the 1040 matched the 1000, the lag on the 1040 seemed to get better to match 1000 (i.e. the match was not caused by lag on the 1000 getting worse). 

• Is something happening with this? I have (approximately) the same lag for gradient, speed and distance left when navigating and the screen when to turn is shown. The strange thing is that the blue arrow that shows my position seems to be correct, so when I am right in the crossing  the blue arrow shows that, but the text is saying 200m left. The lag for me is appr 10 seconds, perhaps little less for the speed.

The Swedish support said to me that no one else have reported this error, but when reading this thread Garmin seems to be aware of the error. I'm a little bit disappointed with the (Swedish) Garmin support. I think this is kind of embarrassing for Garmin, my old Edge 800(!) is better. 

• It is pretty disappointing for sure for a flagship device.  Have you (or anyone) tried the public beta 14.14 software on these issued?  I just updated but haven't been out to test to see if it helped any of this. I do know it hasn't helped grade lag, but that's a whole other long-term ball of wax (see other threads, not this one).