This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1040 Solar auto screen brightness

I am finding that the auto brightness of the screen on the Edge 1040 Solar to be too dark and the colors very muted or dull.  In dim light, I have to turn off the Auto Brightness and manually crank up the brightness to 70% to 80% in order to be able to comfortably be able to read the screen. Is anyone else having a problem reading the display on the Edge 1040 Solar in dim light when Auto Brightness is turned on? If so, what level of brightness do you set the display to for low light conditions?

I also noticed that the display on the non-solar 1040 is brighter and the colors are much more colorful compared to the Edge 1040 Solar. I know that this is because of the solar panel that goes over the display.

I'm torn between the Solar and non-solar Edge 1040s because of these screen issues. I really wish the solar panel didn't go over the usable visible part of the screen and just relied on the solar panels above and below the visible screen!

• I was wondering if they could make it so you could use auto brightness and also set the minimum brightness with the slider. If auto brightness is too dim you could set your preferred minimum at the cost of battery life.

• I like that idea! Something like that could be done with a firmware update.

• I have the same issue with the Edge 1040 Solar in dim light. I would appreciate it as well if Garmin could look into this as it seems to be something that could be fixed with a firmware update.

• Fully agree! Being able to adjust the auo brightness ranges seems super useful (I usually now set the Solar1040 manually to 80-90%; which not a good idea overall but at least makes stuff visible)

• You can adjust the auto-brightness offset. This will make the screen brighter than the default. This is done from the widget loop by leaving auto brightness enabled and adjusting the slider bar. This will then apply an offset to the default brightness levels.

• Adjusting the auto-brightness offset like you described does seem to help tremendously.  After adjusting the auto-brightness offset, I tested it by walking around my house with a wide variety of brightness (from well lit to totally dark) and I can see the screen just fine.  I can't wait to try it out this evening or tomorrow evening on some wooded trails.  Thank you so much for this suggestion!

• This is great and will prevent me from forgetting to turn backlight off when riding in direct sunlight (happens all the time)

• When you increase the auto-brightness offset, it appears to prevent the auto brightness from turning the backlight all the way off.  In contrast, if you don't adjust the auto brightness offset and you are in full/good sunlight, the auto brightness appears to be able to completely turn off the backlight.  You can test this by swiping down from the top and watching the brightness slider as you move through different lighting.

• One more thing to add about adjusting the auto brightness offset is that it appears to get reset the offset once you turn the 1040 Solar off or it goes into sleep mode.

• Thanks for that bit of information.