This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Timer Format Change

It appears the format for the timer field has changed. On the 1030 it would show minutes and seconds until an hour was reached, then show hours and minutes. On the 1040 using a half row sized field, once it passes an hour it shows hours as a small superscript (which I have a hard time reading), then minutes and seconds. I don't find seconds a very useful metric once I've passed an hour of riding. Unless I'm missing something, it would be nice if there was an option to change the timer format back to what is used on the 1030.

• I noticed that, but now prefer it the new way. I was thinking about it and hours are least needed in my opinion. I can still see them anyway, but at least I can see the timer being more “active” now

• Old way is easier and more useful for me (the tiny hours is impossible to read). With data filds it must be easy to have both options (hh:mm as well as mm:ss with hr indicator) - keep everybody happy. It was a very useful dispay and for me now of no use.

• This may not work for you, but changing the layout so that the data field is in full width will leave the hour in full size.

The unit does support having 10 data screens so moving some of the  less frequently used data onto other screens might be an option.

• Yes - I prefer the old format as well.

• An hour is a long time, and it’s pretty hard to lose track of which one you are on. The seconds may not matter to those of us that don’t race anymore, but they do matter to those that are racing. Added benefit, Have you noticed when you pass 100 km (or miles if you don’t observe the rules, especially #24), the display still gives you distances to the hundredths, 2 places past the decimal? That is really useful.

• Create two timer display fields, differnt fields "Elapsed time mm:ss" and "Elapsed time"hh:mm" to give everybody what they want.

• Why cannot this be like with distance? When you exceed 100km, the digits decrease.

It must be a bug.

• Agree. The current layout is worthless. I was looking at my display and only read "12:55". I thought: 12 minute 55 seconds? That cannot be true. After closer observation, it read 2:12:55. 

So, Garmin, please only use 4 digits. Either MM:SS (when less than 60 minutes) and HH:MM for longer rides. After 1 hour, I don't care for the seconds...

• An hour is not a long time for someone doing extremely long events. Trust me, it's really easy to lose track of what hour you are on and it is key for timing nutrition. Seconds only matter for short events and maybe lap times when doing intervals. Add to that 45+ year old eyes and you have a very frustrated Garmin user.

• For people who like the new timer formatting, please don't pile on to this issue. The ask here is to give the OPTION to see the hour more clearly, not take away the new formatting. Please help out your fellow endurance cyclists with older eyes. ;-))