This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

1040 Solar Glass Tempered Screen protector

Does anyone know if the 1040 Solar works with a tempered glass screen protector?

• Was thinking the same question for glare reduction.

• On the Garmin support site they recommend against screen protectors because they might affect touchscreen operation and an anti glare screen might affect solar charging efficiency. However, screen protectors are cheap enough to try and see what happens. 

• I've installed a tempered glass screen protector on my 1040 Solar. No apparent issues with touch response, nor solar charging.

• Which protector did you use. I haven’t seen any for the 1040. Do the 1030+ fit well enough 

• Same size screen as the 1030. Went with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XQRGY8/

Selected based on good reviews and having a similar cost for a 4-pack as many single packs. I did read the 1-star reviews and have no idea what they're on about - it installed perfectly after cleaning the screen with the included wet/dry wipes, and there are no bubbles.

It's slightly smaller than the screen - perhaps a millimeter at top and bottom - which is A-OK as it accommodates the rubber case. (edit - confirming that the case, and an extra MTB mount, are included with the solar. As I needed both of those, it narrowed the price gap between solar and non by half)

• What silicon case are you using for the 1040, same as 1030 as well?

Comming from a 830 so I have nothing to compare size with.

• The case in the photo is included with the 1040 Solar.

• I can confirm a case for the 1030 is not the same.  It sort off fits but the base of the 1040 is more curved so the shape isn’t quite right.  It does dimensionally fit though,  More importantly the flap for charging is larger on the 1040 so can’t really be opened.  You could use a 1030 case as a temporary measure, but I wouldn’t do it long term.  At the moment I can only see the new cases on the Garmin shop and even those have a long delay.  I’m just using without for now until they become more available.  

• I will second that 1030 + screen protectors fit just fine. I put a tempered glass one on (not anti-glare) and am positive it didn't affect touch response and can't notice any decrease in solar charging capability. I was going to test if the solar intensity went down immediately after installing it, but didn't bother in the end. I'm still seeing high solar intensity numbers when I use it outside.

I do think the screen could use some anti-glare and would be curious if anyone see's significant reduction with anti-glare on. If it's not too much, I might be tempted to go that route.

• I tried one with anti-glare protection on my 1040 not solar but it doesn't look good ,too much brilliance is lost.