This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Course vs Route Recalculation

Hey Everyone,

I'm moving from a 1030 and noticed that there are extra options in the Navigation > Routing Menu for "Course Recalculation" and "Route Recalculation" (the 1030 just had "Recalculation").

Does anyone have additional details beyond the manual for these two options (copied below, not super insightful)? The seem to be directed at when you're riding a course vs having the Edge direct to a PO?

Course Recalculation >>Automatically recalculates the route when you deviate from the course.

Options are "Prompt with Auto Re-route", "Prompt Only", "Auto re-route", and "Auto Pause"

Route Recalculation >> Automatically recalculates the route when you deviate from the route.

Options are "Prompted", "Automatic", and "Off"

Thanks!

• Course Recalculation: is for imported Course
    Route Recalculation: is for POI

• I have fiddled with the settings, but they don't seem to do much. When I go off course, the route does not seem to be recalculated, whichever setting I choose. What does happen, is that when I go back on course, the device immediately starts navigating the course, even when I have paused navigation of the course.

I also looked at the Dutch translations for the recalculation options, but they only lead to more confusion. For example, 'Prompt Only' is translated to 'Only at request'. I have selected this setting, but when I go off course, the device does not request me to recalculate the route. Thus, I think this is just one of Garmin's quite apalling translations.

Regarding the user manual (https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/GUID-0083D0A0-EA6E-41F0-8207-3F1498875E61/EN-US/GUID-75D72D8E-4D22-41E2-A11A-15250A9CC91D.html): I cannot fathom the mind of a person who writes this and then thinks: 'This is a good piece of documentation! This will clearly tell the users what the different options do!'. To be honest, this particular part of the user manual is completely useless.

• Had the same questions, and yes, nothing clear from the menu or documentation

• Recalculate course is the calculation corresponding to the dark pink line
    Recalculate route is the calculation corresponding to the light pink line

• Off course alert must be turned on

• Same in Italian language, the translation is very poor and make more confusing!

• Isn’t one a subset of the other - the Course and the Route it will follow to get you back on Course. If you look and the “Manual” page “mweijs” included and go to the link about Route, you will see this. The Route recalculation takes you, e.g. either on Road or Off-Road.

I have tested this and it does work to a point. I have Course Recalc = Prompt & Auto Reroute & Route Recalc = Prompted. Then the sub-menus allows you to define what criteria you want it follow.

Going deliberately off-course I get the pop-up to Pause or Re-calc, ignoring the pop-up it will automatically Re-Calc. Where there is a nearby route taking me back to my Course it will do that, otherwise it’s a U-Turn. Once I had it offer me two choices - U-Turn or Cut Ahead.

It is very indiscriminate in the way it works and what it offers to do. I haven’t done enough navigation to understand exactly what’s going on.

However on one ride, going 50M past a turn I had incorrectly mapped in Komoot, but with a possible Re-Route 50M further on, I had the dreaded:

- Route calculation error

No Off-Course, no Re-Route option just bang. This was an immense bug-bear in the 1000, which I had hoped that this would be eliminated in the 1040.

• “Route recalculation” allows for recalculation when “turn guidance” is enabled.

“Course recalculation” allows for recalculation when “turn guidance “ is disabled. The older units don’t have this option.

• This is what dcrainmaker writes about it (for the Edge 1030).

• Folks,

I spoke to the Edge Beta team about this and they provide this more useful explanation of the differences:

A Course in Garmin’s language is a pre-planned ride. 3rd party platforms may call this a “Route” or something else. In contrast, a Route is what you get when you choose to navigate to a location on the device where the goal is to navigate you to a chosen location.

• Course Recalculation - This impacts what happens when the user is using turn guidance while navigating a course, and they go off-course. The recalculation refers to the route to get back to the course. The options are:
    • Prompt with Auto Re-route: Will prompt the user with options, and will automatically select a route back to the course if the user does not select one within 10 seconds.
    • Prompt Only: Will prompt the user with options, and will wait for the user to select one.
    • Auto Re-route: Will automatically activate the most direct route back to the course.
    • Auto Pause: Will automatically pause turn guidance until the user gets back onto the course.
    • Route Recalculation - This impacts what happens when the user deviates from a route that is not associated with a user's pre-planned course. For example, they use turn guidance to navigate to a water stop, or they navigate back to the start of their activity. The difference is that the particular shape of the route is not important in this case - just the destination. The options are:
    • Prompted: If the user goes off of the prescribed route, the device will ask the user if they want to recalculate the route to the destination before doing so.
    • Automatic: If the user goes off of the prescribed route, the device will automatically readjust their route to get them from the new location to their chosen destination.
    • Off: The device will not recalculate the route if the user deviates from the originally prescribed route.