This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What about Gradient Lag?

Can anyone report if Garmin have fixed the issue that the 1030+ has with ridiculously long responses to changes in gradient?

• >>>Gradient lag = elevation lag = shortage of total ascent <<<

Not necessarily.  If it is purely lag, then total ascent and total descent will be the same.  e.g. You've crested a sharp hill and started to descend but it still shows you climbing,  That climb is still being accumulated.  I'm not saying that's the way it's working, but it is a possibility.

• it does. it shaves up to 10% of a climb on an XCO track. After a fast downhill goes uphill. Half of an uphill it gives negative grade as a result it skips the bottom part of a track. 
    I also run that track, used to have fenix 6, now it is Epix2. Every single time the watches gives the same total ascent - 55meters, but Edge 1040 on 55 meter climb gives 40-50meters

• That is not due to the gradient lag. The filtering of the data to compute gradient has no impact on what is recorded for the elevation data.

• for me the elevation data is priority #1. Never used gradient unless found out Total ascent shortage

• Total ascent shortage started in 2020 on *30 devices after some SW updates((
    Used to have Edge 830 and switched to 1040 immediately hoping the new device will be ok, but it has the same problems((

• I wanted to make sure I wasn't just imagining that 'Sensible Grade' seemed to have less lag than the default Garmin data field, so I put both fields on the same screen on my Edge 1040 and went for a hilly ride today. The 'Sensible Grade' field definitely updates more quickly and is more representative of where you are on the climb/descent. At some points on short, punchy climbs/descents, 'Sensible Grade' was several percentage points different/more realistic compared to the Garmin default field.

• I did the exact same thing earlier this week, and had the same experience that you did. I just wish the font was bigger.

• I deleted gradient tab from my screen, but I have two observations (SW 17.26) :

1) total ascent on a hilly road course looks ok. I have to check it on an MTB course, where Edge gave the worst numbers of ascent
    2) total ascent on a pancake flat course is terrible Rage I mean there is no ascent but Edge 1040 gives it a lot

• Let’s hope @Garmin-Matthew will return very soon, with a complete and real resolution to both the grade and total ascent issues - as promised, from the software programming team.
  • Unfortunately i keep waiting since summer 2020 when these bugs appeared on edge 830

I switched to 1040 just by only one reason - hoped the new device will be ok