This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What about Gradient Lag?

Can anyone report if Garmin have fixed the issue that the 1030+ has with ridiculously long responses to changes in gradient?

• This means that the inherent sensor inaccuracy

There is no gradient sensor in the Edges, they just measure distance and (barometric) height chance and calculate gradient. That’s the reason why there is a lag, the information is always old. 
    I don’t doubt that the Edge 1000 reacted faster, I only doubt it is more accurate (wich was stated here also). 
    I think they did make the segments longer. This will make the averages more accurate but also the lag bigger. 
    Im still looking for any use for me for the gradient I’m riding when I’m actually riding it. Knowing it when planing a route is fine. If I’m in the ride, I can judge by myself if the actual grade is rideable or not.
    Long term I can imagine gradient will get the same fate as internal temperature (wich is also a useless data point that was recorded for the sale of recording it) that will be not recorded by default any longer. In the beta you already have to enable recording internal temperature. 

• hmmm, where did you see such statement , or why did you though that it was "fixed"

• There is no gradient sensor in the Edges

That's not true, there is gyroscope that can be used to have a lower latency and also to have a better accurancy too.

• The 1040 is behaving the same as the 530, 830 and 1030+. Maybe there is a previous tear down to compare it to the 800, 1000 and others of that generation of hardware. 

• I have to wonder if the dual frequency GNSS chip can provide useful gradient data using a moving average over several seconds. The VDOP value will indicate the quality of the calculated elevation. If good then use the GNSS output, if VDOP is poor (too many buildings or trees) then rely on the barometer or average over a longr period.

• Although I didn't pay much attention to this feature on the 530 and 830, I had the impression that it was laggy compared to old Etrex 30X I used before . Now I have the confirmation.
    Sad to see I will be plagged with the same on 750eur devide (1040 Solar)

• agreed.  can't believe they haven't fixed this yet.  

• Was ridiculous on 1030 plus and it is still ridiculous on 1040

• Dont have a 1040 unit, however as exactly the same problem exists with the 1030plus, I have been experimenting with a Garmin IQ app called "Sensible Grade" It has what it calls a "smoothing value" which apparently is a response time vs. accuracy trade off! However, when I set it to 1, the fastest setting, it definately makes a difference to how fast the 1030plus unit responds to gradient changes with changes coming in at a more reasonable 3-5 secs. The "1" setting makes slightly wilder swings in terms of gradient numbers, but there is option to change the respons/accuracy ratio with settings at 3, 5 and 7(smoothest but slowest). Ironically I reckon I probably need a "2" value to compromise betwen the speed and the accuracy, but the app does make a difference. Dont know if the author has made it compatible for 1040 units, but given the issues, perhaps someone can contact and see if an update is forthcoming?

• The problem with Sensible Grade is that it uses GPS elevation and not the barometer. If you are in areas with steep valleys, lots of tree cover or tall buildings it will be very erratic. I use it on one screen on my 830. It is a best, marginally better. 

EDIT- It uses the same delayed barometer data as the 1040. This is only an improved grade field for watches.