This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What about Gradient Lag?

Can anyone report if Garmin have fixed the issue that the 1030+ has with ridiculously long responses to changes in gradient?

• >>>Thanks for this suggestion. Have you used Sensible Grade on a 1030 Plus?<<<

No.  I have not.  So far, I've stuck with the smaller form-factor Edge units.

• What you are reporting there is not a grade issue really. It is an elevation data issue in the course file not matching the reality of the world you are riding in.

I assuming you are describing that you are descending, but the elevation plot is showing that you are climbing.

ClimbPro and Power Guide are only as good as the underlying course elevation data provided in the course file.

Some course creating sites have better elevation data than others.

If you are going to do that route again trying using the activity file that is on the Edge to create a course on the Edge. The Edge will use the elevation data from the activity. Then ride that new course and and see how ClimbPro works. You can also use that new course to build a Power Guide and see if that addresses the issue.

• What you propose "aweatherall" is nonsense and completely absurd.

Devices as extremely expensive as the 1030, 1030 plus, 1040 should perform flawlessly.
    However, the most widely advertised functions do not work.

This is a humiliating standard at Garmin, making a list of 100 device functions of which 90 percent either do not work or they operate in a useless way.

RIP Garmin.

• I'm trying to help by explaining how ClimbPro and Power Guide get and use the elevation data they display. You are free to ignore what I post, but if you read through it all you would understand that any system that is plotting an elevation profile can only be as accurate as the under\lying data it has to work with.

Do not conflate the grade lap issue with the ClimbPro/Power Guide elevation plots. They are two different topics.

• The issue is lag. No matter how good or bad the underlying data is it will still lag regardless.  Some inaccuracies with plot is fine, The lag isn’t  As before it is unusable for both gradient display and climb pro, for the same reason.

Garmin need to fix it not ignore it.

If it works on other garmin devices and not on the 1030 plus and 1040 then it’s obviously device related. 

• I my not arguing that there is not a lag or trying to defend it.

I'm trying to separate the reports of position lag on the elevation profiles and the real time gradient lag.

The rider position on the ClimbPro/Power Guide elevation plot is a function of the course data and has nothing to do with the real time grade value.

The real time gradient value is a function of how Garmin are computing the value using barometric and speed data.

The current algorithm appears to use a 15 second rolling average to smooth the value, which leads to the lag that has been reported.

• It’s not the case on other devices. 

Everyone understands how they appear to be calculating them.  It’s broken. It needs fixing. 

• Out of interest what device are you comparing it with.

• I do really appreciate this answer and I think, most users will understand this beeing two different topics.

However, the lag in displaying the real time gradient is what causes all the frustration here and not the power guide problems.

Have you already checked the answer from Mikef-swiss 6 days ago on page 2 that is related to the gradient lag?

• Well , while not the poster you are asking the question of, most recently (this past saturday) I compared it directly with my Karoo2.  The K2 is MUCH more responsive to changes in gradiant.  I did not try my wahoo element yet but I will, however past use indicates the element is much more on par with the K2 in quickness of change of gradient.