This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What about Gradient Lag?

Can anyone report if Garmin have fixed the issue that the 1030+ has with ridiculously long responses to changes in gradient?

• There will always be a lag since the unit needs to be able to tell the difference between a real gradient change and a speedbump.  Usually a gradient change is determined when you get a certain altitude change over a certain distance.  So, if you are going slowly it will take longer to see a gradient change.  Clearly the altitude and distance parameters can be fiddled with and I imagine that Garmin has done work to optimize speed while not having a lot of false changes.

• Yes, however, if you pop over to the 1030+ forum , the issue relates to what is considered to be an acceptable lag. The 1030+ units are lagging by up to 15 seconds, to which many people consider to be unacceptable for a flagship unit, particularly when most of the competition makes the same changes in around 3-5 seconds. This particular question has been one of the biggest issues on the 1030+ forums and requests for Garmin to rectify have been ongoing for months. Hence the original question as to whether anyone as any operational experience yet on whether or not this particular has been rectified? It could well influence many peoples decision on whether or not to purchase?

• I've just been for my first ride with my 1040 solar, there is noticeably more delay on the gradient than on my 1030. I estimated about 10 seconds between getting to the top of a climb and the gradient going negative.

I'm sure is right, this is to do with the filtering on the measurements to remove noise, it's just they have made the bandwidth of their averaging filter too low.

My 1030 appeared to have far less lag, it's a bit discouraging if this has been raised as an issue on the 1030+ for a while and nothing done about it.

• Thank you very much for your information, being so I am not going to buy it out of the box because it was one of the points that had to be fixed.

• Agreed. Very disappointing esp. Given the performance of the older edge 1000 is both near instantaneous and accurate. I guess I’ll be sticking with that unit a while longer. 

• The gradient is measured comparing the altitude of 2 points.

I hardly see bumps that are 1 meter high that most bikers can go over it. A small bump will not change the altitude where yiu are enough.

Also, the speed you are going does not matter, the comparison is performed at time intervals, not distance intervals.

The problem in the previous models is that the device is extremely slow measuring the next altitude point (the interval between measurements is too long).

I was hoping they will solve this issue in the new model. But from what I read, it hasn't. 

• @Iwan:

You are being way toooo polite. Only “A bit discouraging”? Their engineers are certainly not hard core cyclists who’ve beta-tested their hard and software.

There is even a class action suit on Garmin UK site because of Garmin not delivering or operating as it should for Edge models such as the 1030+ and 1040.

They market a bunch of stuff re. their units - but in real life, they don’t deliver what they’re marketing. 

• Actually, every Garmin support person that I have talked to in person is an avid biker.

• @Gigas10:

Frankly, it’s embarrassing for a flagship product.

Hope that Wahoo and Hammerhead Karoo are following all these complaints, and that they offer a solid alternative to Garmin’s “not quite ready for prime time” Edge model releases.

• @djwalker1260   Really? Support employees are not the same as engineering ppl who are inventing, suggesting, testing, and implementing the hardware and software upgrades on their cycling computers.

Support ppl otoh, are good to offer a shoulder to cry on and share your pain… if you are lucky.