Tip #2 - Tray support added to the map page

The use of what Garmin calls Trays is not new to the Edge touch screen series, but it was only implemented on the workout page.

On the 1040 tray support is available on the 

• Map page
  • Power Guide page
  • Workout page

What is tray support?

This is a way of offering up control/configuration options for a page or feature that can be accessed by swiping up from the bottom of the screen.

How do I know if a page has tray support?

When you first switch to a page the page will show the tray icon at the bottom of the page for the first few second you are on the page and then it will clear.

Here I have just switched to map page and the tray icon is showing. Next it clears.

If I access the tray on the map page I get the following options

One of the nice options here is the ability to stop segments being drawn on the map without having to disable them.

The tray for Power Guide allows you to change the effort level

For the workout you get

• Ok, with the ability to get profile and reindarfst fields beneath the Map, the device is sold to me. 
    Thanks again for all this small tips nobody else is telling us. 

• With the addition of this Tray feature that I'll never use (I leave those 3 settings permanently turned off), we have lost a far more useful feature because it's no longer possible to swipe down when on the map page to access the Settings.

Settings like screen brightness adjustment and toggling certain Courses to be displayed/hidden are things that I use a LOT from the map page, but now I have to swipe to another page before I can access the normal settings functions, because that doesn't work from the map page.

Does the addition of this Tray have to disable access to standard Settings? If so, I'd prefer to lose the Tray and keep access to Settings. I would think that the functions in the new Tray could be added to another Settings page.

• Swipe down still works on the map page. You just need to make sure to start the swipe at the very top of the screen.

•  

Firstly let me thank aweatherall for the great guidance regarding the 1040, has made the discovering of features of the 1040 (and previous devices) much much easier. I have now lost my amateur status as I received my 1040 a couple of days ago (after 2 months of low / no stock in my region), very pleased so far..

On the "swipe down" on map page, I also found that I could not do it but with a good bit of fiddling I believe that it only works if the "guide text" is displayed at the top of the map screen. If guide text is set to "never display" or you are not actually navigating and the guide text is not at the top of the map screen then it does not work. I am on 12.16 so this might also be complicated by the "Turn Guidance" disable switch not working.

This seems to be a bug?

PS just to be clear, when I had the guide text showing at the top of the map screen I then could swipe down to display the Settings widget etc.

• That would be a bug. Let me try that configuration.

• @L.Rouge

I checked at home. On the "Maps" page I can pull down the top statusbar. Both in the profile view mode and when running an activity.
    Well, I checked the bottom menu on the "map" page and with such open options I downloaded the top statusbar.
    I'm on firmware 14.14.

greetings

• That explains my problem, I always have the guide text set to Never Display, and so swiping down on the map page didn't work.

Fortunately, the problem does appear to have been fixed with the beta firmware update, 14.14.

• When 4 fields on Map Page, without using custom and ugly fields?