This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Custom POIs on 1030 plus visibility and alarms.

Hallo,

i created my Custom POI file with some POIs inside and transfered the file to my Garmin1030 plus. Within the folder „Suchen“ i sehe the file and the individual POIs are included. Until this point everything is ok. 

Now i want to use the POI while cycling. 

I like to understand now : 

1. ??? are all POIs in the folder „Suchen“ (search) now visible on the map  ?? Do I need to make the POIs visible with a switch. 

2. ???. Is ist possible to make the letter size of the POIs on the map larger , bolt ??? 
3. ??? Is it possible to generate an Alarm, when i reach or come next to an POI ??? I added a distance in the charcteristic of the Individualismus POIs, but I donot get an alarm yet. 

Thanks very much for your answer. 

Top Replies

• 1. ??? are all POIs in the folder „Suchen“ (search) now visible on the map  ?? Do I need to make the POIs visible with a switch.

If any of them are visibile, they all are. Did you try…

All Replies

• This is the Edge 1030 subforum, try asking in the Edge 1030 ***Plus*** subforum

• 1. ??? are all POIs in the folder „Suchen“ (search) now visible on the map  ?? Do I need to make the POIs visible with a switch.

If any of them are visibile, they all are. Did you try panning the map to one of them? They might not be visible at all zoom levels.

Is it possible to generate an Alarm, when i reach or come next to an POI ??? I added a distance in the charcteristic of the Individualismus POIs, but I donot get an alarm yet

No, none of the current Edges support this feature.

• Hallo, I contacted Garmin Support. They answered.. Garmin 1030 plus and Garmin Basecamp and POI Loader are Not compatible. I should use Connect.. The answer did. Not help me at all, .. 

• That statement is not correct.

The GPI files created by POI Loader work fine on the 1030+. This includes using custom icons.

The alarms worked on the ancient 800 but they don't work on more recent units.

What are you trying to use BaseCamp before. BaseCamp is certainly "compatible" in some ways (if not absolutely everything).

The POI stuff (on the Edges) is a bit obscure. It's not a heavily used feature. It wouldn't surprise me that support didn't know much about it (I wouldn't have asked them about it).

• Hallo dpawlyk,

thanks for your answer, in the meantime I contacted the German Garmin Support in witten and the wrote back: POI is not supported for Edge Units.

But if it works, I like to us it. I can tell you, what I want to do:

We are planing a quite long bike-ride with a lot of Churches, castles and other things along the track: 200-300 places. I already made a waypoit for each place.

Now I want to transfer this huge number of waypoits in a POI-File and transfer it to the Garmin 1030 plus.

When I pass a waypoint of the POI File I like to have a indication: Either a beep or the name of the waypoint in large letters on the map ..

Is that possible?

• The information you are getting from Garmin about POIs is wrong. I think the problem is that not that many people use the POIs on the Edges.

The alerts do not work on the new Garmins. (They did work on the ancient 800.)

===============

The text (the POI name) doesn't seem to be displayed on the 1030. That's fine for my use. If you drop a pin on the icon, it shows the text at the top.

The custom icons work.

You might not need the label. You can use icons to distinguish what sort of site the POI represents.

===============

There are two ways (in addition to the POIs) that might work better for you.

1- Locations

I used locations for what you are trying to do. It worked well enough for me (when I did it a number of years ago for an ancient 800).

There is a limit to the locations (I think it's 200). Locations can be created using a GPX file with multiple waypoints that you copy to \Garmin\NewFiles  These end-up in \Garmin\Locations\Location.fit.

2- An overlay map.

The following might work for you (I tried using it for something else and it didn't quite work for me).

www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

===============

The reason I played with POIs was to have the locations where my cycle club's rides start. I don't care that the text/labels don't show. I'm expecting people to search for them to get back to the start (if they get lost).

I used to use locations for this but I use those for other (temporary purposes) and want to be able to delete them all at once (which would mean I would also delete the start locations that I wanted to keep).

• Hallo, thank you for your answer. Sorry, I donot understand all, so I have to ask again;

The alerts do not work on the new Garmins. (They did work on the ancient 800.)

==> That means, I will not get any kind of alarm on the Garmin 1030 plus. That would be ok for me, if any individual text of the waypoint or even only a markerm in large letters whould be displayed on the may, where the waypoint is.

#######################

If you drop a pin on the icon, it shows the text at the top.

==> I donot understand that sentence.

######################

The custom icons work.

You might not need the label. You can use icons to distinguish what sort of site the POI represents.

===============

==> I donot understand that sentence.

###############

2- An overlay map.

Thanks very much

The following might work for you (I tried using it for something else and it didn't quite work for me).

www.javawa.nl/imgfromgpx_en.html

==> I will try that over the weekend.

There is a limit to the locations (I think it's 200). Locations can be created using a GPX file with multiple waypoints that you copy to \Garmin\NewFiles  These end-up in \Garmin\Locations\Location.fit

==> how do you create the file and how will this locations will be displayed on the map during the ride.

############

==>

• Yes, that's what it means. The alarms don't work on the current Edges. (This is the third time I've said this.)

The POI name doesn't show up on the map. (I don't think there is a simpler way to say this) 

POI'sand locations have little pictures (icons) associated with them.

You can change the icon for the point to distinguish the location.

How to do that for POI's is explained here.

support.garmin.com/.../

===========================

If you tap the hand on the map, the map is in pan mode. This lets you move the map around.

If you tap the screen, a red pin is dropped. You can save this pin as a location by tapping on the text at the top of the screen or navigate to it. Tap "ride" to navigate to it or tap the flag to save it.

The red pin is how you create locations on the device.

You can edit the location and change the name or the associated icon.

5hevnamenof the location shows up on the map (you can't change the size of the text).

If the pin is on an object (a road, POI, etc.), the name of the object is displayed at the top of the screen.

If the red pin is displayed, you can slide the map underneath it (this changes what location the pin is pointing at).

For locations, instead of using the file you exported from BaseCamp in POILoader, copy it to \Garmin\NewFiles

=====================

You should actually try the POI and location using a place in your neighborhood to see which one works better for you. These two options are easier than the overlay map option.

Keep in mind that you may have more locations than the device can handle.

======================

POI's let you use your own icons/pictures but the names don't show. You can have many of these.

Locations limit what icons you can use but the names show. You are limited to 200.

• How does one find out about the POI Loader if you've never heard of it?  If I had not stumbled on this conversation in the forums, I would never have known about it.  As far as I can see, it's not mentioned anywhere on the regular Garmin website.

• The first rule about POI fight club is not to talk about POI fight club.