This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I've created a Backup utility aimed at 1030's in particular - EdgeBackup - v0.97

Hey Guys,

Due to 9.x firmware releases in particular needing a lot more hard resets than normal, I created a backup utility using the info from https://support.garmin.com/en-MY/?faq=eWswdSH4aC3xrXxmQj7U9A.  The amount of manual work to backup is annoying as heck.  Restoring is easy, but good grief Garmin... Y'all really should have provided a utility for doing the backup!.  Soooo, I got grumpy, stopped bitching about it and created one.  :)     This is still a work in progress, IT'S BETA, only runs on Windows, and needs more error handling and such, but as it stands currently - if your Garmin Edge is plugged in and visible on the PC with the default  "Garmin" drive label, it will be recognized and backed up.

Quick instructions:

1. Keep in mind this is BETA. At the moment you probably want to be more technically astute to run this. 
  2. Plug in the Garmin Edge on a Windows PC (only tested on 10, but probably works on 7)
  3. Download the edge-backup.exe and execute it.  (Alternatively - you also have the option of running the un-compiled script itself if you have AutoIT3 installed and download the source package)
  4. Find your backed up config and app files under "Documents\Backup\Garmin DEVICENAME_BACKUP-ISO8601datecode"  This will change in the future.
  5. Log file is now stored with the backed up config and app files

Cheers,

Jeff

UPDATE: 2020-06-27: updated for error handling and better logging/messaging.  version is ticked up to 0.90 now.

UPDATE: 2020-07-04 - updated to update more directories and the apps/widgets and their associated settings.  (aka after having to do another hard reset, found what was missing)

UPDATE: 2020-07-04 -part deaux - updated for intermittent race condition after adding apps/widgets to the backups that caused some files to not backup.

UPDATE: 2020-07-05 - logging enhancements/fixes.  Mostly suggestions from @

UPDATE  2020-08-07 - did a couple updates while Garmin was fubar'd.  Updated to now backup Forerunners, and probably others.  It'll now loop through devices, so if you plugin 5 Garmin's, it'll backup all of them in one go around.  Backups are now named after the device and go into distinct folders for each device.  Also removed a LOT of hardcoding.

• Hi to all the experts here...

does anybody know what kind of data is stored within these two files....

ScrnCfgDA.fit

ScrnCfgSensor.fit

Filename suggests something like configuration...

Files can be found in Garmin\Debugging\Backup..

When I downgraded from 9.34Beta back to FW 9.10 I put both files into NewFiles folder and my screenlayout and sensordata kept  unchanged after restart.

Just BT connection to my phone needs a new setup.

@Jeff_Burns

maybe this two files (unmentioned in Garmin backup advice) should be integrated in your exe.

• @ Interesting.  @Garmin_Matthew - you have some input on the following files?

ScrnCfgDA.fit

ScrnCfgSensor.fit

Filename suggests something like configuration...

Files can be found in Garmin\Debugging\Backup..

• So, my Edge v9.50 got a Map update yesterday.  I thought it was OK, but it was in a bootloop this morning, and had to hard reset.  *sigh*   Time to use the data backed up and restore and see what happens.  Well, one thing found out was without apps, custom Data screens that depend on widgets don't come back.  Had to reinstall my apps separately, and then restore the fit files again.  Then realized they lost their settings.  So that's annoying.  Thanks to  for detailing some extra directories in a separate posting.  I should have pulled those in right off the bat, but was initially sticking to Garmin's official instructions, which are incomplete.  :) 

So for v0.93, I added backups of apps/widgets, their needed settings, and add'l config directories now.  Updated initial post to new EXE version.

Things that worked from a 0.90 backup - 

• Data Screens (After apps/widgets installed again from CiQ store)
    • Device pairings
    • Most settings that I remembered

Things that didn't work from a 0.90 backup (should be fixed now with v0.93):

• Apps/widgets not installed (cuz they weren't backed up...)
    • Data screens before app/widgets being installed again
    • App/Widget settings weren't restored
  • Updated one more time.  v0.94 now.  Fixed an intermittent race condition that caused some files to not get backed up correctly.  Timing got thrown off with a lot of new/bigger files..  (they were backed up, but spread over a couple of directories. Silly mistake on my part).  Initial post updated with current status.

• Hi Jeff,
    Great backup-tool you've made. Thanks for that! I tested it and it works also for the Edge Explore. In the .log file there are reported some errors just because file types .prg and .set do not exist on the Explore (but maybe that's because I have no IQ Apps or Widgets installed).

However, a feature request for a next version: Now the default location for the backup files is "C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Backup\...", but I would prefer a different location to store the backups. Would it be possible for you to let the user of your program choose a different location? Path name free at choice as long as it starts with a drive letter.

And another: in the .log file in the section while copying files there are only entries like 'file copy succesful'. It would be more informative when also the location (directory) names from where the files are copied were logged.

And one more: can the .log file be placed in the same directory 'Backups' as where the directory (i.e. BACKUP-2020-07-05-11-21-52) with the backup files themselves are stored. And name the .log file BACKUP-2020-07-05-11-21-52.log to keep the same name as the backup files directory.

Being a bit shy to ask this...

• Thanks.  I tried, partly as a help for everyone else, and partly as self preservation as keep having issues with my own 1030 and the manual backup steps are laborious.  I haven't tested on anything other than my Edge1030, since that's the only operational Edge I have now..  So it's good to have some feedback from something else.

1. I need to add a "if exist" check before blindly trying to backup the prg/set files for apps/widgets
    2. File location - It was my intent to make that customizable, but make it default to documents in users folder. Getting it going was easier just to take the userprofile from vars and drop it there.  Guess I need to stop being lazy and make it actually customizable now.   lol
    3. Sigh/lol - I ran into this one myself debugging the race condition on file copies yesterday.  Kinda hard to debug when you can't trace what just actually happened...
    4. I hadn't actually thought about this scenario, but it's actually annoying to have a monolithic log like that.

No need for worry.  All good points.  Added those as tracking issues.  Will probably get at least the easy ones later today.  

https://github.com/admiraljkb/edge-backup/issues

• Got two of them done.  https://github.com/admiraljkb/edge-backup/releases/tag/v0.95

• storing log with the rest of the output files
    • adding details for where files backed up from

Cheers

Jeff

• Hi Jeff,
    The log info is far more informative now. At least useful in the development phase of your tool while debugging what's going on, and later 'for the record'.

There is one small issue for attention: on the Edge Explore - at least mine - directory  "x:\Garmin\HMD\" does not exist, so this too generates a "File Copy Unsuccessful:" entry in the .log.

My interest for your tool comes from playing around with different firmware versions, so from time to time I have to restore the settings. A good tool works much easier than the manual work. So, thanks for your initiative and efforts to realise the tool.

• Yeah, they’ve really sh@t the bed with the last update didn’t they? Thanks to very slow rollout I managed to avoid the 9.50 update. 

Tahnks for the initiative @Jeff_Burns, I’m sure this will be a great tool to have.