This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

I've created a Backup utility aimed at 1030's in particular - EdgeBackup - v0.97

Hey Guys,

Due to 9.x firmware releases in particular needing a lot more hard resets than normal, I created a backup utility using the info from https://support.garmin.com/en-MY/?faq=eWswdSH4aC3xrXxmQj7U9A.  The amount of manual work to backup is annoying as heck.  Restoring is easy, but good grief Garmin... Y'all really should have provided a utility for doing the backup!.  Soooo, I got grumpy, stopped bitching about it and created one.  :)     This is still a work in progress, IT'S BETA, only runs on Windows, and needs more error handling and such, but as it stands currently - if your Garmin Edge is plugged in and visible on the PC with the default  "Garmin" drive label, it will be recognized and backed up.

Quick instructions:

1. Keep in mind this is BETA. At the moment you probably want to be more technically astute to run this. 
  2. Plug in the Garmin Edge on a Windows PC (only tested on 10, but probably works on 7)
  3. Download the edge-backup.exe and execute it.  (Alternatively - you also have the option of running the un-compiled script itself if you have AutoIT3 installed and download the source package)
  4. Find your backed up config and app files under "Documents\Backup\Garmin DEVICENAME_BACKUP-ISO8601datecode"  This will change in the future.
  5. Log file is now stored with the backed up config and app files

Cheers,

Jeff

UPDATE: 2020-06-27: updated for error handling and better logging/messaging.  version is ticked up to 0.90 now.

UPDATE: 2020-07-04 - updated to update more directories and the apps/widgets and their associated settings.  (aka after having to do another hard reset, found what was missing)

UPDATE: 2020-07-04 -part deaux - updated for intermittent race condition after adding apps/widgets to the backups that caused some files to not backup.

UPDATE: 2020-07-05 - logging enhancements/fixes.  Mostly suggestions from @

UPDATE  2020-08-07 - did a couple updates while Garmin was fubar'd.  Updated to now backup Forerunners, and probably others.  It'll now loop through devices, so if you plugin 5 Garmin's, it'll backup all of them in one go around.  Backups are now named after the device and go into distinct folders for each device.  Also removed a LOT of hardcoding.

• Regarding backup and copy PRG and SET files:
    I have done this for data fields in the past - if it was not yet available for a new device for example - and it worked, but I found that the setup process did not work anymore. Often the 3-point button was missing in Garmin Express.
    There is also the "OUT" file in /Apps. No idea what it contains. 

• There is one small issue for attention: on the Edge Explore - at least mine - directory  "x:\Garmin\HMD\" does not exist, so this too generates a "File Copy Unsuccessful:" entry in the .log.

Yeah, the file copies right now are hard-coded to get it out the door and into people's hands.  I need to put the data into an array, and then for loop.  Then adding the proper error handling into that bit will be child's play..  The big thing right now is it works and is available to use, but there are some false errors in logs as a result of my haste.  Normally I wouldn't have done that, but the number of people that have been having to do hard resets after 9.50 seems to have been elevated.  Fixing that is my final major criteria for declaring v1.00.  :) 

Glad it's been useful!  If you or anyone else spots anything else, let me know.

• Updated this a couple of times while Garmin was offline.  Removed a lot of hardcoding I did to get it out the door when 9.50 released and bricked a lot of devices, and officially added new support for Forerunners (probably most Garmin devices, it actually worked with Forerunners already, just had to add a couple directories)..   You can now plugin as many Garmin Edge's and Forerunners as you have and it'll backup all of them with one run.  Directories are now named after device, so long as you don't have two of the same model, it's readily apparent now which backups are which.. 

• I wanted to stop in and leave a comment saying thanks for making this. It makes backup painless. So, THANKS!