This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Update 9.50 crashed my two Edge 1030

After updating the software to version 9.50, either the GPS froze on the loading screen (first device), either it froze on the main screen (second device).

So I lost my two devices just before starting for a bike ride... I am very disappointed about this catastrophic update.

Does anyone has the same issue ?

Does anyone have a solution to fix this mess ?

• Yep.   I'm having issues to.  I have noticed this on 3 different 1030 devices now.

• I just got the notice the update was available but didn't do it, selected remind instead. I always wait to do them until I have read no issues, and never right before a ride or even within a day or two of an important ride 

• Press and hold the power button until the unit goes off

Press the power button again to turn on unit

Screen shows prompt to install software update

Press install now

Worked for me

• Updated to 9.50 (through G Express) ... first 100miles ride - and 2 crashes during the ride. Luckily the unit recovered after restart (except for 25km distance warnings which are pretty important for me). Can't say I trust this firmware Disappointed

After that I turned off new Grit/Flow/Jump recording feature and another 100miles it was ok. But it could have been just a coincidence.

• Yeah, I reported it during the 9.48 beta, and Garmin had me collect extra data.  Haven't heard back yet for any more data.  Same lockup occurred on 9.50.    As 7680791 posted, hold the power button down until unit powers off, then power back up.  Should be OK after that, although I had to do it three times to get mine back online, but it's been stable since, well mostly.  Have had it mysteriously chow through the battery overnight on two occasions that I'm unclear on so far...

• Update came to tweet what was working. I have been using Edge devices since 2012 and I have NEVER had problems in this regard.

This 9.50 version made my device turn off 3x in the worst possible hours. No restart and I had to turn on the device manually. And still in the same activity right after updating.

The first time was while loading a course (I lost several minutes waiting to turn on), the second time was in the transition from the ClimbPro screen to the map screen. And the third time was spontaneously taking a course.

Because of that, I almost got lost and had to go home because I no longer trusted the device. Very disappointed.

• Even 9.10 is unstable. When loading a gpx with Komoot IQ app and starting the route from Komoot, the 1030 crashes and switches off !! 
    As a workaround I first load the gpx and restart the 1030. However with the last rides 9.10 also hangs at start-up, no map update, no nothing After a few times stopping the ride it finally works. The Garmin Operating system is suffering from a memory management problem. If they don't solve that it comes back with every version, now apparently in 9.5

• What about the performance compared to 9.3x (beta) I have around that one and performance is 30-40% worst when changing screen or just even switch on device. Changing screen (wipe to a direction) takes 2-3 seconds. Terrible slow. I reported as bug but there was no answer. Maybe my device has a problem? 

Any experience regarding the speed? 

• After fw update up to v 9.5 my Edge 1030 crashes badly every time of saved course re-calculation.

It suddenly switched off completely. After power on - it boots like after cold power off. Then I can re-start course.

I've already lost my today workout records. I 've stored error log file, follow first fragment. I can send whole file if necessary.

"system_version":"9.50", "build_type":"PRODUCTION", "backtrace":"NAV main - Error type ( 1 ) err( 6E5D800F )",

"error_cause":"RTL Trap"

• Same has happened to me on my last two rides using 9.50.

For me it's each time the unit goes into standby during a ride (toilet break or something similar) and the unit has a major issue in starting up again. 

First time it took a long time to find the course again and wouldn't allow me to un-pause my ride. The unit then froze after syncing and had to be hard reset. Second time, I hit the power button by accident, and on waking it again the unit was flicking between the pause screen and map for a good minute, and it couldn't find the route again, trying to swipe between screen wouldn't work either. Again the unit crashed after syncing the ride and had to be hard reset.

This has only started happening since 9.50 was installed.