This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrate from old 1030 to a new 1030

Folks:

Garmin is replacing my 1030 due to the blue halo problem.

When the new 1030 arrives, I'd like to preserve as much of the old data as possible.

What folders do you recommend I copy from the old unit to the new one?

So far I've got the following from the Garmin folder ...

• Activities
  • Apps
  • Locations
  • Metrics
  • Records
  • Segment_List
  • Segments
  • Settings
  • Sports
  • Summary
  • Totals

Anything I'm missing?

I won't copy the old data to the new unit until the new unit is upgraded to the same software version as the old one.

Thanks!

david

• -activities: you can copy to the new device dir activities (but what for? Keep in mind that an Edge 1030 can handle a maximum of about 200 activities)

-courses: you can copy to the new device dir courses.

-apps: you can copy to the new device dir apps (and settings and data), but it would be better to install it anew. Otherwise you will have problems to setup IQs via Garmin Express.

-all other directories: store all fit-files of the old device on your pc. After your new Edge is ready, copy all fit-files to its directory „Newfiles“ and let it boot again.

Thats it!

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 4 years ago

Had the same issue with the halo and new device.

First question: why should you copy all info to the new device? It's all in Garmin Connect!?
    You could back up the old device and put the backup on the new device, however possibly not the best idea.

All segments will be put in in the new device automatically by Garmin Connect.

Only thing to backup could be the settings of the activities.
    I think it should be possible to copy them from some folder when attaching the device to your PC.

• Hi David,

Was it older than 1 year (out of warranty) or not?

Can you upload a picture about your device with halo problem?

What did you tell them as they admitted the problem? Do you have any advice what I should say them (I saw this after warranty time only.)

For first look the garmin in my county refused the replacement as they said I'm the only person with this problem and also the device is already more than 1 year old so out of warranty. I should pay the same cost that Garmin want to see when you accidentally crash your device and they give you a new one: ~200-250 EUR.

Thanks for the help.

Zoli

• Hi David,

Was it older than 1 year (out of warranty) or not?

Can you upload a picture about your device with halo problem?

What did you tell them as they admitted the problem? Do you have any advice what I should say them (I saw this after warranty time only.)

For first look the garmin in my county refused the replacement as they said I'm the only person with this problem and also the device is already more than 1 year old so out of warranty. I should pay the same cost that Garmin want to see when you accidentally crash your device and they give you a new one: ~200-250 EUR.

Thanks for the help.

Zoli

• Mine was indeed out of warranty. I got on a chat with garmin support and they offered a 'good will' replacement.

The problem is clearly well documented.

This was the thread that prompted me to get the replacement done.  forums.garmin.com/.../is-this-the-well-documented-screen-halo

• Hi Zoli, under eu law the minimum guarantee is 2 years, so if your country is in eu read the link at bottom.

My unit was replaced because of halo and a host of other probs just disappeared too.

As the other guy said,  this is a well documented problem and we all know it is doesn't appear early in the 1030's life. 

Good luck

europa.eu/.../index_en.htm

• Just noticed that you'd asked for a pic, so here's mine, its a tricky thing to photo but as you can see, mine was obvious even switched off and laying it down in bright light produced a decent enough pic

I should have said that the garmin replacement service was very fast, - back in 4 working days