I have an Edge 1030 and just pre-ordered the Garmin Charge Power Pack for it, about which I have some questions...
1) The user manual states "The battery pack may charge slowly when using a third-party USB cable or power source." Can you explain, technically, what exactly is required to be provided by the cable and charger in order to charge the device at it's maximum speed? ie, does the supplied Garmin USB charger implement an existing quick-charge standard (Qualcomm, Apple), or something proprietary?
2) Just to clarify, I understand if the Charge Pack is connected to an operating Edge, it will first charge the battery of that Edge to 100%, even while it's in operation, and then the Edge will continue operating directly from power supplied by the Charge Pack, until the pack is fully depleted, at which time the Edge will automatically resume operating from, and depleting, it's own internal battery?
3) If I connect an external power source to the "Input power Micro-USB port" of the Power Pack, while it's connected to the Edge, is it safe to assume power will be supplied from that external source directly to the Edge, first charging the battery in the Edge to 100%, and then being used by the Edge for operation without depleting it's own internal battery?
4) If an external power source is connected to the Power Pack, is it safe to assume that it does *not* support "through charging" to a connected Edge device, and the pack will *not* charge itself while also simultaneously supplying power to the Edge?
5) I understand from the user manual that I can use the "device key" on the Power Pack to stop/resume charging of the Edge device it is connected to. Is it safe to assume that, if I use that button to stop charging the Edge, it is at that time the pack will then begin recharging itself from a connected power source?
6) Will the Power Pack sense a connected Edge device being shut off, and then automatically start charging from an external power source if connected, without having to press the device key?
7) If I connected USB power from a dynamo to the Power Pack and it's connected Edge (during operation), I assume I will have to use the "device key"/button on the pack to choose between using that external power to operate the Edge or charge the pack (as per question 5). This question is about if I slow down, and not enough external power is provided as a result... (a) If the external power was *operating* the Edge, will the the pack automatically take over supplying power? And (b) if I was *charging* the pack, will the pack automatically start supplying power to the Edge again, or will it just shut off, and require another button press to resume supplying power to the Edge and prevent it's internal battery from depleting?
8) If, using external USB power from a dynamo, and I decelerate and then *accelerate* again to resume external power supply to the pack - (a) Will the pack just shut off on power loss, and then do nothing when I accelerate, unless I press some buttons? And (b), if external power was being "forwarded" to operate the Edge, will it just resume charging the pack when power is restored? And (c), if the pack is 100%, will the resumption of power then not do anything without pressing buttons, resulting in depletion of the Edge's internal battery?
9) Dynamo power can be a bit unstable at times, and it's advisable to utilize a power bank which supports "through charging" to isolate an Edge device from any power surges or shortages. I assume (as per question 4), that the Power Pack is *not* such a device, and as such, will *not* do anything to isolate the Edge device from the power being provided by an external dynamo, and just forward whatever power is being provided to the pack (surges, shortages, and all) onwards to the Edge, after having pressed the button in order to do so?
p.s. All this should be answered in the product manual / specifications ;-)