This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Charge Power Pack Questions

Hi,

I have an Edge 1030 and just pre-ordered the Garmin Charge Power Pack for it, about which I have some questions...

1) The user manual states "The battery pack may charge slowly when using a third-party USB cable or power source." Can you explain, technically, what exactly is required to be provided by the cable and charger in order to charge the device at it's maximum speed? ie, does the supplied Garmin USB charger implement an existing quick-charge standard (Qualcomm, Apple), or something proprietary?

2) Just to clarify, I understand if the Charge Pack is connected to an operating Edge, it will first charge the battery of that Edge to 100%, even while it's in operation, and then the Edge will continue operating directly from power supplied by the Charge Pack, until the pack is fully depleted, at which time the Edge will automatically resume operating from, and depleting, it's own internal battery?

3) If I connect an external power source to the "Input power Micro-USB port" of the Power Pack, while it's connected to the Edge, is it safe to assume power will be supplied from that external source directly to the Edge, first charging the battery in the Edge to 100%, and then being used by the Edge for operation without depleting it's own internal battery?

4) If an external power source is connected to the Power Pack, is it safe to assume that it does *not* support "through charging" to a connected Edge device, and the pack will *not* charge itself while also simultaneously supplying power to the Edge?

5) I understand from the user manual that I can use the "device key" on the Power Pack to stop/resume charging of the Edge device it is connected to. Is it safe to assume that, if I use that button to stop charging the Edge, it is at that time the pack will then begin recharging itself from a connected power source?

6) Will the Power Pack sense a connected Edge device being shut off, and then automatically start charging from an external power source if connected, without having to press the device key?

7) If I connected USB power from a dynamo to the Power Pack and it's connected Edge (during operation), I assume I will have to use the "device key"/button on the pack to choose between using that external power to operate the Edge or charge the pack (as per question 5). This question is about if I slow down, and not enough external power is provided as a result... (a) If the external power was *operating* the Edge, will the the pack automatically take over supplying power? And (b) if I was *charging* the pack, will the pack automatically start supplying power to the Edge again, or will it just shut off, and require another button press to resume supplying power to the Edge and prevent it's internal battery from depleting?

8) If, using external USB power from a dynamo, and I decelerate and then *accelerate* again to resume external power supply to the pack - (a) Will the pack just shut off on power loss, and then do nothing when I accelerate, unless I press some buttons? And (b), if external power was being "forwarded" to operate the Edge, will it just resume charging the pack when power is restored? And (c), if the pack is 100%, will the resumption of power then not do anything without pressing buttons, resulting in depletion of the Edge's internal battery?

9) Dynamo power can be a bit unstable at times, and it's advisable to utilize a power bank which supports "through charging" to isolate an Edge device from any power surges or shortages. I assume (as per question 4), that the Power Pack is *not* such a device, and as such, will *not* do anything to isolate the Edge device from the power being provided by an external dynamo, and just forward whatever power is being provided to the pack (surges, shortages, and all) onwards to the Edge, after having pressed the button in order to do so?

Much Thanks!

p.s. All this should be answered in the product manual / specifications ;-)
  • I picked up my Power Pack this afternoon. The box and documentation calls it "External Battery Pack". I'm charging it now - it had about a 60 - 70% charge out of the box. They say a full charge would take 4 hours. The box includes a plug in charger with four different wall plugs. There is a 2mm hex key for removing the center of the out front mount, and the replacement center piece.

The out front mount has to be modified, switching out the top section to one that is open in the center so that the contacts on the battery pack can touch the contacts on the Edge 1030. It looks as if the Varia out front mount would work as well as the 1030 out front mount after making this fix. The standard Edge 1000 out front mount is probably too short to work.

Using a microUSB or miniUSB cable, the battery pack can charge any of the Edge models. The battery pack has a weather cover that allows access to a miniUSB input port used for charging, and a USB outputport used to send energy to a device (an Edge computer, a phone, etc.). There are status lights - four blue lights indicating 100%, 75%, 50%, and 25% charge, with the last light blinking when the charge is down to 5% on the battery pack. There is a "device key", which sounds like an On/Off switch to me....

I found that Competitive Cyclist carries the Edge 1030 mount for about $33 USD if you need extras, but I don't know if we can sweet talk Garmin out of the center piece that allows you to connect the battery pack. It certainly isn't available to buy on their web site.
  • Are there any details on the assignment of the pins and how they work.. I've ran a multimeter around them but it would appear the pins are perhaps communication pins rather than just a way of connecting to the internal charge circuitry.

I would like to 3d print an suitable insert with spring contacts to allow my Garmin to be powered from my dynamo (I can't fit a battery pack because of the mounting location on my aerobars) It would be nice to remove the need to plug in a USB lead when I want to charge it.
  • It would be nice to remove the need to plug in a USB lead when I want to charge it.

Thats a very good idea, and I'm wondering why Garmin does not offer a "normal" mount with contacts and a USB connector.
  • Well, I got mine today and first impression is, what a piece of junk!

The rubber cover for the USB ports won't stay put and keeps coming open. Of course it's on the bottom, so that means the ports will get soaked with first ride in the rain. Seems risky for shorting out if you ask me. Good job on a $130 USB charger Garmin.
  • It is there on the web site $9.99
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/591983

Yes, thanks, I actually wrote to tech support, and it took them a while to find the center piece, since it is an "accessory of an accessory". I was ready to order two, but was put off by an $8 USD charge for shipping two items that probably weigh no more than a first class letter. Ten bucks for the part is expensive enough!
  • @hubic Please see the below answers to your questions about the Charge Power Pack.

• The battery pack may charge more slowly when using third party USB cables or power sources simply because the Garmin-supplied charger can deliver more current at the regulated voltage than many USB third party power sources.
    • The Garmin charge pack will both power the EDGE 1030 and charge the EDGE 1030 internal battery simultaneously. If the EDGE internal battery reaches a full charge while the external charge pack is powering the EDGE, then the EDGE will continue running from the external charge pack until it is depleted. Then the EDGE will continue operation under its own internal battery power.
    • Connecting an external power source to the external charge pack micro-USB port charges the external charge pack, regardless of whether or not the charge pack is powering an EDGE. The charge pack will charge more slowly when the charge pack is also supplying power to other devices like and EDGE.
    • No, it will charge itself and the power/charge the EDGE at the same time, but the external power charging the charge pack is not directly connected to the EDGE. But if an EDGE or other device is connected, the charge pack itself will recharge more slowly than if no external device was connected.
    • No, the charge pack always charges itself (if charging is needed) when the when connected to the charger.
    • No, the charge pack always charges itself when the when connected to the charger.
    • The charge pack will stop charging itself if it determines there is not enough power available from the external source and the voltage drops at its input. It will resume charging automatically when it detects the proper input conditions again.
    • See #9 explanation above.
    • In all cases the external power sources charge the charge pack, and the charge pack powers/charges the EDGE. External power sources connected to the charge pack do not directly power the EDGE.
  • Yes, thanks, I actually wrote to tech support, and it took them a while to find the center piece, since it is an "accessory of an accessory". I was ready to order two, but was put off by an $8 USD charge for shipping two items that probably weigh no more than a first class letter. Ten bucks for the part is expensive enough!

I discovered today – after receiving a spare 1030 mount I ordered from Competitive Cyclist for $33 – that the new Garmin mount, when purchased as an accessory, includes the Charge Pack mounting accessory. There is no need to purchase it separately if buying another mount.
  • @hubic Please see the below answers to your questions about the Charge Power Pack.

Shawn, thank you so much for these answers!

Provided I'm not misunderstanding, I'm very pleasantly surprised to hear that the power pack does indeed then support through-charging, and will somewhat insulate my Edge from my dyno!

This is great to hear (send my thanks to the engineers!). My unit just shipped yesterday (B&H), so I look forward to testing it out! :-)
  • I discovered today – after receiving a spare 1030 mount I ordered from Competitive Cyclist for $33 – that the new Garmin mount, when purchased as an accessory, includes the Charge Pack mounting accessory. There is no need to purchase it separately if buying another mount.

Dean,
    Thanks for that piece of news! I'm going to be ordering that right away.