This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Incident detection sensitivity

I know this was discussed in a previous thread, with 3.40. It was intermixed with some other issues and I am wondering, generally, if we cannot help ourselves (and Garmin) to try and list out problems in separate threads, so that they can identify how big the problem is, if there is one

So, having moved to 3.50 having never had incident detection fire off previously.....I had it twice on a 60k ride today. Nearly soiled myself as I wondered what the *** the noise was, as I had to slow quickly from about 20mph to 5mph (no lockups, just slowed reasonably fast). 3.20 definitely was not that sensitive for detection, and I am wondering if there is a setting that can be tweaked (a new UI for high/med/low sensitivity ?). I really don't want to turn it off, like the other threads have indicated...as it is a useful feature - just not if it goes off for braking a little more exuberantly. Anyone else had this trigger moreso now ?
  • I have 3.5 software and I will get an incident detection when I come to a stop. It is very sensitive, and so far I don't see a manual way to adjust the sensitivity.
  • Thanks for the information here. I have added your reports to the open investigation on incident detection being overly sensitive.
  • My experience has been the same since launch day. Stopping will activate it -- much too sensitive so I had to disable it.
  • I was recently given a 1030 and came to controlled stop this AM and the incident detection fired. So +1 too the functionality being way too sensitive - gave my wife a huge scare. Nor would the unit respond to me trying to stop it sending during the count down
  • My experience is even worse. I had a real accident and I even hit my head, but for 1030 this accident never happened. Actually it is quite visible on Strava as well. So in this occasion, where I really needed support, the device did not do its job.
    2 days ago I had a puncture and I slowed down till stop, and the 1030 kicked the incident detection.

Basically: does not work when it should, and overreacts when it shouldn't. Just unreliable as temperature, gradient, navigation. I don't know what to trust of this device. I hope Apple or Samsung will sooner or later do something for cycling also to save us from Garmin monopoly
  • I have an Edge 520, software 12.50. Incident detectionsill disabled. The functionality is still unusable.
    Can Garmin please post a status update on the resolution progress?
  • Here we are 2 yrs down the road in 6/2019, Fw 7.5, and just by stopping my bike fairly gently the incident detection will still activate. Hey Garmin engineers, can I point out to you that in nearly all crashes, the bike will fall over and not stand upright. Use your gyroscope to figure that one out for your $600 device please.

• Same problem, triggers when I come to a stop

• Had this same experience yesterday.  Came to a stop normally at a stoplight and it triggered an "incident."  Scared me silly.