Edge 1030 vs upgrading to Edge 1030 plus

I have this my Edge 1030 since 2018 I believe, and still the battery is going strong and never had any bigger issues or concerns with it.

Seeing lately the model is phased out and nomore subforums for it if any support would need in future.

Contacted Garmin "what if" the unit could be traded for a newer model let say 1040.

The best I could be able to trade in the old for new for a deal 20% off from the MSRP, which at full price in Canada is $800-20%= $640 ??? (plus tax).

For my 64 year old "hobby" or fittnes level gravel biking I am finding the expense pretty steep, if I would have a need for a second unit I would keep the old also just buy one more new Edge.

Anybody with experience?

• I “graduated” to a 1040 from a 530 after a string of 200, 510, 520 and certainly appreciated the bigger screen and incredible battery (I get 80-100 hours) but if my previous model had been a 1030/1030+ I think I might have been disappointed. I also just “ride”, often following a course but have no use for 90% of the performance & social features on the device, I have them all turned off.  The 1040/840/540 all still have heaps of annoying bugs and each release seems to introduce more so you are missing out on all these, IMHO the 1040 software is the worst I have used, hardware the best.

The 1030 software is identical to the 1030+ so you can just continue to post in the 1030+ forum, it’s 12 months since any xx30 software update so there is unlikely to ever be any more.

Most “solar” model users seem pretty disappointed with the “benefit” they got from the extra cost and the fact that the solar screens are duller than non-solar so I would recommend steering clear of those. At this stage with the 1040 series almost 2 years old  (in June) and if the 1030 gives you all you need I would be giving the 1040 series a miss and awaiting a 1050 in a year or two.

ps If you watch the rise and fall of even major store prices you can easily get better than Garmins 20% offer.

• The 1030 software is identical to the 1030+ so you can just continue to post in the 1030+ forum

The software isn't identical. While it's not much different, the routing/navigation is better on the 1030+.

• I have this my Edge 1030 since 2018 I believe, and still the battery is going strong and never had any bigger issues or concerns with it.

The 1030 will work fine for many years.

If it works for you, there isn't much reason to upgrade.

The 1030+ is a significant improvement: longer battery life, faster processor, the routing/navigation works better.

If you are really buggy about upgrading, it might be better to sell the 1030 on eBay.

• The battery lasts safely 10+ hours that is about two nice long rides, I really no need to replace the 1030 for that. Not sure what that means "better navigation" I don't go much to unknown, an optimal ride is gravel and trailes up to 70-80 Km, couple times a year maybe a 3 digit but that is almost overkill for a 64 yo...I like to record where I have been riding, how to get home is more like secondary.

But I like toys 2 ...

• The 1030+ handles going off course better. That might partly be due to the processor being faster. 

Still, the plain-ole 1030 works pretty well (but the 1030+ is definitely better). 

Given what you describe, I don’t think you’d get much value from upgrading to a 1030+.

Anyway…

Your age alone isn’t much of a limiting factor. I’ve seen people older than that who did 600k rides in respectable (regardless of age) times.