This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

File names on 1030 Plus

On the 1030 plus I have the following maps:
AMR standard basemap NR,
Oahu OSM that I downloaded,
Garmin DEM North America,
Garmin Geocode North America,
Trailforks,
Garmin Cycle NA, Middle America,
Garmin Cycle NA, Canada/Alaska,
Garmin Cycle NA US
Questions follow

• 1) Can someone explain or point me to a coherent explanation of what they all are?
    2) What do abbreviations like AMR, NR, DEM, and NA mean?
    3) I'm in Hawaii. Does it count as North America where stated?
    4) How can I tell if one has auto-routing?
    5) Is enabling/disabling in profiles the only way to set priority for maps covering the same area?

Thanks

• The basemap is a map that doesn't have much detail. It's used at low zoom levels and for areas you don't have a detailed map. It is a world-wide map.

NR is "non routing". The basemap doesn't have enough roads to be useful for routes anyway.

Not sure what AMR means. 

DEM is "digital elevation model". This is the map that has the elevation data. It doesn't change that frequently.

Geocode contains addresses and POIs (points of interest) associated with geographic coordinates. 

Trailforks is maps for mountain bike trails.

The Cycle maps is where the "meat" is. These maps contain the stuff displayed on the screen and the network of roads/paths/etc used for routing.

NA is "North America".

NA is split across multiple maps. Hawaii is in the US one.

You can zoom and pan to a region to see if there's detail there.

If you have multiple maps covering the same region, enable only the map you want to use and disable the others.

• Thanks! Anybody know what AMR stands for?

• It doesn’t matter what AMR stands for. 

What matters is that it’s the basemap

You don’t even need the basemap.

What the basemap does is very limited.

Again, it provides some context (something to see) for areas you don’t have a detailed map for. (The “Cycle” maps and your Oahu map are detailed maps.) 

The basemap is also used for low zoom levels (where the detailed maps would have too much data to display).