This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Display Quality

Hello fellow Garmin users,

I recently purchased a Garmin Edge 1030 Plus, excited to take advantage of its touted navigation features. However, I've been facing a significant issue that's making the device almost unusable for me: the poor display quality.

What's the Issue? The display on my Garmin Edge 1030 Plus lacks contrast, making it incredibly difficult to distinguish between the route and other streets. This is particularly frustrating because the box and the website showcase vibrant colors that simply aren't present on my device. I've tried navigating through the settings to adjust the map color, but to no avail. The device doesn't even offer the option to change map colors, contrary to what I've seen in promotional materials.

Why Is This a Problem? The lack of contrast and color differentiation makes navigation a nightmare. I bought this device primarily for its navigation capabilities, and it's failing to deliver on that front. Garmin's customer support insists that my device is functioning perfectly, but if that's the case, then the product is fundamentally flawed.

Is Anyone Else Experiencing This? I'm curious to know if other users are facing the same issue. Is it a widespread problem, or is my device an outlier? If you've found a workaround or have any tips on improving the display contrast, I'd love to hear them.

In summary, the Garmin Edge 1030 Plus is falling short of expectations due to its poor display quality. If you're considering buying this device for its navigation features, you might want to think twice.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Gr,Bruru

Top Replies

All Replies

• It's a bike GPS aimed at cyclists that are more likely to use the available functions such as power, cadence, speed, climb pro, Di2 integration etc to assist their rides and training rather than a glorified map reader.  If you want to rely on a map screen as your main screen, buy something else. Following a route all you need is turn by turn alerts. If you want iPhone clarity buy a Karoo 2.  

• ???

The map/navigation is an important feature for many riders.

• I don't know anybody that uses a 1030 plus, 103/40, 8/530 8/540, Element Roam/Bolt with the navigation as their main screen.  Turn by turn works perfectly well if you're following a route and I would say we all pre-program a route if we're unsure of where we're going.  Anybody wanting a crystal clear navigation device to look at all ride would be better off buying a smart phone holder for their bike.

• I do. It’s fine for looking at the map.

The other options have worse battery life and the screen is fine for looking at maps. 

• Same. Back in the day on the 1000 i switched quite a lot, mostly because there was a meaningful runtime difference between map and data, but on the 1030p, if I'm riding in a group and have a course loaded i want more awareness of the road ahead than just the next turn instruction when in the lead, and when i'm not in the lead all the data is of little interest. When I'm not in the lead, the numbers aren't interesting at all so the map stays. Using some custom cIQ fields on the map view, because two fields aren't enough for pacing an entire group.