This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Freeze & Data Loss

Today I encountered a freeze and then reboot which resulted in a large portion of ride the being lost although the distance is about right.

Perhaps coincidental however during the past few rides I’ve had messages randomly appearing to set up the Di2 buttons when they are already set up and working. At the start of the ride today I had issues getting my Fenix 6x to send the heart rate but after rebooting the watch it connected ok.

About 75% of the way through the ride today my Varia radar and heart rate disconnected, and the Edge unit was displaying a connection lost message. The screen and buttons seemed unresponsive and then the device just rebooted and everything connected and seemed to work. The map page showed a line from a point about an hour plus before to my current location, so I expected the ride to be lost.

The rest of the ride was uneventful and upon syncing the Garmin & Strava maps show a straight line from a previous point to where I was when the device restarted.

I’ve checked the Fit file and there is about 1.5 hours of data missing.

•  The unit is about 28 months old and has been ok until now
  •  Was thinking of a full reset and setting everything up from scratch (Never done before)
  •  I will probably record rides on my Fenix as a backup from now on
  •  Perhaps I should sell it and upgrade to the 1040?
  • SW version is 6.75

Any thoughts/suggestions?

• Hi, if you recover the FIT file from the Activities folder on the device, you may be able to repair it using one of the FIT file repair tools/websites to recover more of the ride.

As for freeze/lockup/reboots, I've had it happen on rare occasion (with my Edge 530). Feel like it's when I'm fumbling buttons while it's trying to do something, but I honestly don't know. It's so rare tho that I just consider it similar to any other device/software crash. I do run a few Connect IQ apps recording a ton of extra data, so the device does have a lot going on.

Anyhow unless it's a frequent occurrence, I don't think I would worry about it. Maybe just check that all your device/sensor firmwares are up-to-date, and update any Connect IQ apps. You can also check that the device isn't running out of storage space. If certain sensors are giving issues, can try remove/re-add to see if it helps (while being aware that recent Edge firmwares did have an increase in reported sensor dropouts, which Garmin is working on in beta). But personally I'd consider a device reset as a last resort, only if I was having this issue a lot..., just because there is soooo much stuff to set up again after a reset.

• Sorry about the delay. The missing data wasn't in the fit file.

I performed a factory reset and so far it's ok however the number of sensor drop outs is quite high and the I keep seeing Di2 button set up prompts when everything is working ok. 

• Random thought... I wonder if you remove the Di2 connection completely and try the Edge without it, do the dropouts improve?