This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Locations.fit by address

Is there any way to add locations to the LOCATIONS.FIT file by street address?  I do not have a map on the gps that contains addresses.  I think that function comes with the City Navigator maps which I don't have and I can't transfer the information from Google Maps without messing with coordinates.

• It’s not exactly clear what you are asking. (I have a 1030+.)

The newer Garmins come with maps based on Openstreetmap (OSM) data.

The touch screen ones (like the 1030+) let you look up locations by address. This information is actually not OSM data (or it’s data Garmin is adding to). This is “geocoded” data and it’s in a separate map file. So, yes, your 1030+ comes with an “address” map.

City Navigator (CN) maps are another set of maps more focused on motor vehicle navigation.

The maps that come with the newer units (including the 1030+) are complete. You don’t need the CN maps at all. The OSM maps are probably better suited for cycling anyway.

If you are trying to create a list of places/locations, you can use the address look up on the device and then drop a pin (long press) to add the point to the location.

There are a couple of other options if that doesn’t work for you. 

• Tx for your detailed response.  

I am still unclear as to how to access address info.  

I have several maps on my 1030+ which I can enable/disable through the 1030+.  I assume the address info should be in one of these.  So I played around enabling/disabling each of the maps (all appear to be OSM maps).  When I look in the "Search" screen all that appears is "Cities" and "Coordinates". 

The maps I have are AMR Standard Basemap, Garmin DEM Map NA, Garmin Geocode Map NA, Trailforks, Garmin Cycle Map NA Middle America, Garmin Cycle Map NA, Canada/Alaska, and Garmin Cycle Map NA, US.  Am I missing an Address file?

As a side note I copied an old City Navigator map from my OLD 810 and when I enabled this map the address selection did appear on the 1030+ "Search" screen.  So the address file must be embedded in the CN map.

I don't want the CN map enabled as it is way out of date. 

Also if I have several maps enabled how do I know which one the 1030+ is displaying?

Tx for your comments.

• Here are the maps used by each of the Search options:

• POI Categories > Cyclemap (Openstreetmap).
    • Cities > Basemap (this is an overview map without much detail).
    • Addresses > Geocode.
    • Intersections > Geocode.
    • Extras > Your own custom GPI files.

Some of the options aren't shown when the associated map is disabled. Some of the options show empty lists when the associated map is disabled. There really isn't much of a reason to disable maps unless you have two maps covering the same region. (If you have maps covering the same region, you need to disable the ones you aren't using.)

• I found the addresses are available in the Garmin Geocode Map.  Tx for your help

• So, you probably had the geocode maps disabled. I wonder why you disabled them. 

• Initially I disabled maps just to see what would happen.  I also felt the 1030+ might start faster (and use less memory) if the "unused" maps were disabled.  I did not notice the missing address options until I had to enter a series of addresses.

• Mess around and find out!

The devices re designed to deal with the big map files efficiently.

That is, things are designed to not need to disable stuff.

Be wary about second guessing the work Garmin puts into these.

(There can be reasons to disable maps. If you have maps that cover the same region, you should only have one of them enabled.)