This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 Plus With 1040 Software

Hy Garmin Community!

Is it possible that Garmin will someday update the previous top of the line 1030 Plus Edge GPS, with their new software/look of the 1040?

If not, would someone with the necessary knowledge/skillset be able to make the port?

Is there some info on that?

thks!!

• I remember reading somewhere that they were NOT going to do it, they are not interested, they would surely sell more 1030+ than 1040

• There are many differences between the software on the 1040 and the 1030+. Garmin never moves stuff that is so different to earlier models. It doesn't make too much sense from a business perspective because it's not something they will earn money from. They would actually loose money because 1030+ owners who care about the new software won't buy 1040s.

If you really want the 1040 software, sell your 1030+ and buy a 1040.

If not, would someone with the necessary knowledge/skillset be able to make the port?

???

No one other than Garmin employees have access to the code.

• I remember reading somewhere that they were NOT going to do it, they are not interested, they would surely sell more 1030+ than 1040

Is Garmin even manufacturing the 1030+ any more? Garmin typically stops production on the prior models.

• I understand what you're saying, but we don't have to be passive... if the community puts pressure on, things can change.

if it is just an economic reason it is up to us to try to change the situation.

The 1030 Plus is a great unit, and it makes more sense to develop only the new software than to have employees develop both the old version and the modern version as well...

• "Community pressure" isn't likely to have any affect.

Given what has happened before, Garmin never does anything like you are suggesting it should do.

If it's "just an economic reason", a few people complaining here isn't likely to convince Garmin that it would be worthwhile doing.

Are you thinking that people with 1030+s would pay for the upgrade?

• I'm not thinking about that, I'm thinking that for Garmin it's more logical to have only one team working on the latest software, than several on different versions.

If the 1030+ is more than capable of having that software...maybe we should be more demanding with the brand.

• I'm not thinking about that, I'm thinking that for Garmin it's more logical to have only one team working on the latest software, than several on different versions.

More or less what I was saying (it's kind of obvious). The problem is that your "not be passive" isn't going to change that. 

If the 1030+ is more than capable of having that software...maybe we should be more demanding with the brand

This isn't really suggesting anything. If the 1030+ was already capable, Garmin already weighed the pros/cons and decided against it. What sort of "demands" would work to have them change that decision? (A handful of people complaining here isn't going to do that.)