This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elapsed time and moving time is the same on strava but different on garmin 1030 plus?

I've been researching online and going through both strava and my garmin device and can't figure out why this happens. The elapsed time and moving time is different on my garmin device and garmin connect after a ride but it uploads the "elapsed time" with all the breaks/pauses during my ride on my strava app. My auto-pause is enabled on my garmin device and it wasn't doing this before only on my last two rides. It also doesn't show any segments on my rides. Does anyone know how to fix this?

• There are 3 times that appear in Garmin Connect.

Elapsed Time (ET) is the time that elapses from starting the activity to saving it. It includes all pauses and isn’t used for any other calculations.

Time is the time that the timer is running, which will equal ET less any pause time. If there are no pauses then Time=ET.

Moving time is self explanatory.

Average speeds are based on Time and Moving time.

I’m not a Strava user but I’d guess its stats are calculated the same way.

I’m guessing you may have inadvertently turned off auto pause, so you are including all stoppages in the average calculation.

• Strava calculates its own elapsed time and moving time (and maximum speed) from the GPS track log.  This is why they a slightly different to the Garmin numbers.  The auto pause thresholds may well be slightly different and calculating the start/stop times from a track log even with the same threshold speed will result in slightly different times times than the times generated on the fly by the GPS unit.

As to why Strava is not finding any segments from your rides you will have to ask Strava support.

• I understand slightly different times. But the past two rides had a difference of a little over 1 hour in moving time and elapsed time. I also rode with someone else whose had similar results yet strava calculated their average speed using their moving time not the elapsed time.

It's just a little irritating since it's showing innacurate results from my actual moving time.

• Strava's average speed has always been the moving average speed.

• Garmin Connect will omit the times your device was paused from the "time" of the activity, and if you choose not to pause your activity while stopped, you can look at the "moving time" or "average moving speed". Strava may interpret the .FIT file differently than the original file you see in Garmin Connect. 

• just wanted to add to some of the comments here as I noticed the same thing this morning. An average of 18.3mph on garmin vs 17.6 on Strava (a short ride). I have auto pause enabled for traffic. I also paused the ride when I got to the end of my street (because I roll down a one-way the wrong way to get home). Essentially, Strava uses the GPS log to calculate when you are moving (time), but takes the Garmin data for distance covered. I think this is poor, if the GPS is going to penalise you for extra time, it should also credit you the distance covered to at least make up some of the gap. By taking time from GPS but distance from your unit, the gap is much bigger between Garmin/Strava than it should be 

• I’ve had the same problem. I started recording my ride as mountain bike and now although my garmin shows elapsed and moving time when it ports to strava the moving time is shown as the same as the elapsed time. I can’t find anything helpful to sort this. Did uou