This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Is my 1030 Plus Defective?

Hello everyone.  I am very new to MTB. I've ridden a total of 20 miles since i bought my high tower a year ago.  I purchased an edge 1030 plus as a means to leaving my phone in my car when Im riding.  I bought it a couple of months ago, but yesterday was the first time I got to use it.

I was sitting at a trail head, and the map showed my position accurately.  I selected the loop I wanted to ride since it has many more trails that cross it.   I pressed navigate and it froze at 67% and gave me a calculation error.  I thought, maybe it wants a route or destination since it doesn't know where I want to go, so I went back to the map and set 4 way points on the same loop.  Started the navigation, and it still failed the calculation.  I gave up and rode, and when I got to the furthest point on the trail, I tried to navigate back to the start, parking lot, other trails, etc.  All attempts ended with "Route calculation error" .

Im a 25 hour pilot in training and have never been let down by garmin, but I feel  like this was a giant waste of $660. 

Side note, not related to the problem.,  I'm also fairly  annoyed that I cant connect the bluetooth to my LTE watch and get call/text notifications from my watch instead of my phone, and also send position update to the net, and if needed emergency contact.  the whole point was to leave my $1500 smart phone off the trail.   And Garmin, not working with samsung devices, does exactly the opposite of pushing me towards your product line.  I could understand not running connect on a watch, but call, text, cellular connection should be able to come from any device that can provide it via bluetooth.

• All attempts ended with "Route calculation error" .

Might be a map error.

I'm also fairly  annoyed that I cant connect the bluetooth to my LTE watch and get call/text notifications from my watch instead of my phone, and also send position update to the net, and if needed emergency contact.  the whole point was to leave my $1500 smart phone off the trail.

Garmin uses the Connect app on your phone to relay things like notifications to the head unit. They may have taken this approach to not over-tax the slow CPUs in these units and preserve battery life. It's also possible that different "phones" and apps that can provide notifications need different tweaks to work. If that's the case, it is going to be much easier to update that code on one app rather than scores of devices (that don't have much memory or CPU power).

• Off your original topic, but for safety considerations, it is a huge mistake leaving your phone in the car