This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Edge 1030 Plus Routing (GPX & or KML) & VP causing issues

Hi Garmin,

1. How do I turn off the re-routing option as only options I get are the following even when when Popularity routing & Route Re-Calculation are set to Off (Promt with auto re-route, Prompt only, Auto re-route & Auto pause).

2. I can’t stop VP & it’s causing my issues with navigation because I leads me to think that is my point on the map & also keeps coming back if I get re-routed.

I need to follow a specific route with no detours as that would result in a DNF / DQ from the event.

Thanks for any advice

Top Replies

All Replies

• The only way to 100% guarantee the route line is your loaded one is to disable "Turn Guidance" and just follow the line on the map, Otherwise the Garmin's calculation will only use your loaded course as a recommendation but will divert where its calculation can not follow your route eg if maps are different or it has some other problem. A half way is to disable Re-Calculation but the first calculated route may still diverge from your desired one, you will though see this as two separate route lines, one darker magenta and one lighter pinkish.

The VP can not be disabled, only solution is to either set the course average speed high or low (if you use Garmin Connect to plan the route see "Pace Calculator" other sites mostly have something similar). If set high then the VP will quickly race past you and will likely not be seen again, if set low then you will outpace the VP unless you stop for a long sleep.

The VP can be useful though, if you were doing an Audax ride with a lower limit elapsed average of say 15km/h you can set the "pace calculator" speed to 15 and then the "Time Ahead" field will always show you how much time you have in hand at any point on the course, if "behind" the field background turns red and you had better quickly finish that second coffee!

PS - if using the Pace Calculator approach you have to export the file as .FIT or .TCX as the others don't support Track Point Date-Time Stamps and these are what the VP uses for its speed.

• Thanks for the reply.

Are Garmin planning to do a future update as I see many are asking for the VP to either be disabled or maybe have the option.

The route I am following is 15 separate files covering approx 2000km mostly off road which means in that case the potential for my Garmin device to recalculate my route could be fairly high which would result in a lot of potential change to the supplied route. Must admit that could be a problem.

Thanks for the advice/feedback.

• I am having route issues too, but more that in another topic...I am searching for answers first .

So I found this thread,

One question....what is a VP ?

• One question....what is a VP ?

Virtual Partner - a second marker on the map (the larger grey one)  that moves at a speed determined by either your speed (modified by a % in the VP screen) for a previous ride  that you use as a route to re-ride or set in the VP screen (km or Mi per hour) if you are not following a course or the speed set for a course that you plan in some external route planner. like Garmin Connect (see "Pace Calculator"),  It is intended as a pace setter for you to race, and data fields are available to tell you how much ahead or behind you are at any point in the ride PS also appears in the elevation profile, you are the green marker above the profile line and the VP is the white marker below the line.