This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

how can I plan navigation on my mac and transfer the route to my garmin 1030 plus.

The information online is plentiful but none of it works on my machines. I have followed the instructions from Garmin on how to transfer the map through the express app on my mac but the described option to copy the map to my mac is not present. The only option it gives me is to re-download the map, which I did but to no avail. The basecaamp app just shows a blank yellow screen where the map should be.

I have plenty of space on my garmin.

.    .         

Basecamp shows maps I do not have on my garmin but does not show the europe cycle map which is there:

Bascamp seems to recognise that there is a map on the garmin but as I said above,  the express app does not give me the option to download it. 

This is the view I get in basecamp

Any help at all is greatly appreciated. I have spent literally hours on this with no luck at all and I wanted to go up into the alps to ride on some trails tomorrow.

Sean

• The easiest thing to do is plan your route/course on Garmin Connect or Ridewithgps.com.

Then, download the course file (as FIT, TCX, or GPX) and copy it to "\Garmin\NewFiles" on the device.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Express will update the maps on the device.

BaseCamp will read the maps on the device, when you plug it in on your computer. You might need to select the map you want to use.

• Former Member
    0 Former Member over 1 year ago

Basecamp has never let me download the stock maps to my PC (even tho Express has a menu option that doesn't work).   However Basecamp does let me view OSM maps from the Edge while plugged in.   If using RWGPS to create routes, make sure you over lay OSM maps, if you have a newer edge that uses OSM.   

All that said, if the goal is to re-download the map data, Express will say it re-downloads it, but it won't....UNLESS you delete the original download location.  I'm not sure where this is on a mac, but here is the windows location. 

C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads\Map

...that should let you re-download (to your device) if the previous download file is corrupt.  But I don't think there is a way around having to plug the device into your computer to view it in basecamp. I don't know if this is a bug or if it's intentional. 

• Easiest? :D Connecting a device via usb is a bit outdated...

If a route is created in garmin connect, then it can be automatically transferred to any modern garmin device via wifi. The same applies to courses created in Strava, Komoot,.. but in these cases it depends from configuration. Course can be transferred to GC profile and then to a device OR directly via their IQ App.

• I know this is maybe stating the obvious, but I too often miss the obvious.

As soon as i have my 1030 plugged into the Mac, then Basecamp allows the map to be displayed.  Just use the View option in the menu bar.
    Cant find the option to Download to computer though.  Think that only happens when the maggots an update...or when actually purchased.