This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Training status seems to be broken

I upload activities (fit files) from Rouvy  to Garmin Connect for a year now.

Since a couple of days this seems to have issues (with the new automatic sync from rouvy and manually uploading fit files as well)

Usually I recorded the activity once in Rouvy and additionally with my Edge 1030+.

In the past training status was just for the Edge-Recorded indoor activity (no elevation data & gps available) counted. 

Now training status seems to be counted for the rouvy activities as well, but wrong.

If I drove on tuesday but upload the activity on wednsday it count's for the training status of wednsday on the Edge. On the GC website it looks kind of okay as the training status is counted for the right day.
All in all it's a bit messed up for me now... As VO2Max, Perfomance condition and FTP estimations are just calculated on the Edge recorded activity but not on the Rouvy or any other activity (SYSTM, Zwift, etc.).

Additionally if I upload and delete the same activity multiple times it get's cleared from the edge not really clean. The initial upload will be synced and counted on the edge, any futher uploads are not shown but just the training effort is increased for the wrong day without any activity shown on the device.

If I delete it on the website the effort is still visibile on the device.

Would be nice if someone can make this behave proper :-)

Thanks!

• In summer 2021 Garmin added Training Status for certain apps uploading directly to Garmin Connect, however Rouvy was not one of those apps. It sounds like Garmin has now added Rouvy to the list sometime this month.

This means that uploads from Rouvy to Garmin Connect that were made before this change did not affect your Training Status, but now they do. So if you now upload the same activity from both Rouvy and your Garmin Edge, they are duplicates and both will affect your Training Status, making it incorrect. 

To avoid this, you can upload the activity to Garmin Connect from either your Edge, or Rouvy, but not both. If you do upload both, you can delete one of them from Garmin Connect after to help fix the Training Status.

Note that if you choose to upload activities from Rouvy for your Training Status, you need to sync your Edge device *twice* for it to show correctly in Garmin Connect. (This is because the metrics are actually calculated on the Edge device itself, so the first sync sends the Rouvy ride to the Edge to calculate the Training Status, and the second sync send the results back to Garmin Connect.)

Personally, my choice would be to upload from the Edge only, and not Rouvy, because the Edge provides more performance/fitness metrics (I don't use Rouvy but this is what I do for Zwift). If you don't like this because the distance, speed, elevation, and location are missing/incorrect for the Garmin version, you can use Fit File Repair Tool to merge your Rouvy data with your Garmin data, then you will have everything.

• Yes, looks like they extended this to count 3rd party apps into training status.

Just get's a bit messy when you want to record the activity with the edge to get it's metrics for VO2Max, cycling dynamics, FTP estimations and the estimation what kind of training it was (Pace, VO2Max, Basics, ...).

Basically it wouldn't be an big issue, but it looks like that if I delete an activity later on via the website the training status from this activity is still kept on the edge.

This leads to the problem that all "training suggestions" are wrong afterwards as it uses double the TSS for it's calculations.

Would be good if deletion of activities would also synchronize the TSS on the edge.

Next time I'll try to delete the rouvy activity for example directly on the edge, maybe this helps...

• Are you synchronizing the Edge after deleting an activity in Garmin Connect?

As mentioned before, I wouldn't recommend uploading both Rouvy and the Edge to Garmin Connect. Do one or other other, not both. I recommend uploading from the Edge only. Then manually edit the activity in Garmin Connect to include the correct distance, elevation, etc from Rouvy. Alternatively, use Fit File Repair Tool to merge the Rouvy data with the Edge data.

• Sorry, it looks like it got's removed once I delete it.

I mixed up that Garmin is using Trainingload and not only TSS. Trainingload was nearly double the TSS for the activity I tried, that's why I thought it's still twice in Grimacing
    So if I delete it the activity and resync trainingload is fine on the edge, was just my fault.

Anyway, I was more happy at the time were the trainingload was just counted once. Buying this fit file repair tool just for this use case seems for me a bit overpriced as long as I need no other function of it, especially if you switch after 2 years to another Edge/Fenix etc. and you have to spent another 40€.

For me in the best case Garmin provides an option to merge activities on their end, shouldn't be that hard Grimacing
    Or for my use case it would also be fine to revert using the training load from 3rd party fit files Grimacing

Looks like Golden Cheetah is also able to merge the fit files of the Edge and Rouvy activities.
    Exporting this fit file back to garmin is not doing the trick as this fit file seems to loose some garmin specific values during export (didn't check the export function on github yet, but maybe it can be extended).
    For now Golden Cheetah seems to be the best matching solution for me where I have altitude, gps, trainingload, cycling dynamics etc. in one place/activity and have the correct training load over time... 

Could have been to easy ;-)

Thanks for your help :-)

• I didn't know Golden Cheetah can merge files too, I need to try that out to see how it compares with Fit File Repair Tool.

I've been using Fit File Repair Tool this winter to merge files and repair damaged files, and I'm happy with it so far. You don't need to pay the fee again if you change devices, you can have as many devices as you want, the software doesn't care.