This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Intensity minutes seem to not be fully recorded on Edge 1030 Plus compared to Fenix 6 Pro Solar.

When viewing the days detail in the App I seem to only be logging a few minutes from each commute. I ride 2x a day for circa 20 minutes and may only get 8 minutes or so counted. Where my actual average HR is in the 150s and peak in the 190s. The 1030 is paired with a HRM. But when I log an activity with my Fenix it counts every minute. Any ideas as to why or how to fix.

• Do you also use the HRM with your fēnix 6 or only with your Edge 1030 Plus.

Because of the limitations of OHR sensors (as used by the fēnix 6) they can often produce a higher Intensity Minutes count than an electrical HRM would for the same activity.

Additionally the Edge 1030 Plus only uses heart rate zones and time for Intensity Minutes whereas the fēnix 6 can be more flexible in its interpretation of Intensity Minutes.

• Edge devices do not contribute to Intensity Minutes. You would have to wear your Fenix 6 to get credit for your rides.

• Where is the logic ? On your watches it's a point that the american health organisation recommend 300 or whatever intensy minutes a week. But maybe that's only applies to runners and hikers? It's a shame i have to bring my fenix 6 along with the 1030 plus to collect intensy minutes. You could ask if this is by design or somebody forgot something.

• From the information page on Intensity Minutes in Garmin Connect Mobile the minimum recommendation is for 150 moderate or 75 vigorous minutes per week.

To get Intensity Minutes you need heart rate data. The f6 always has heart rate available from either the onboard OHR or external source. The Edge units can only get heart rate from an external source which may not be available.

So it is by design I would guess.

• You're probably right. But they could and should made it avaiable as a option. There are several problems i run in to when i have to use both devices. First, the wrist HR sensor is not precise enough to use as a "stand alone" unit on a bike. So i have to connect my HR strap and start a workout, otherwise the strap will disconnect. When finith i have to delete the workout on the fenix, leaving me with the intensy minutes AND a incorrect training statistic as the physio true up on the two devices NEVER are in line.

• Recording the same activity on two devices that are connected via Physio TrueUp and then discarding the activity on one of them is a guaranteed way to ensure the two devices will have different values for the training metrics.

In your case the f6 will still have a record of the Training Load for the activity you recorded on it but then through Physio TrueUp it will add the Training Load for the activity recorded on the Edge. In the other direction there is no saved activity through Physio TrueUp from the f6 for the Edge to add Training Load for.

You shouldn't need to dual record the activity on the f6 to get Intensity Minutes. For me just wearing my f6X is enough to record Intensity Minutes while my Edge (or Tacx Desktop Application for indoor 'rides') is recording the ride. This also ensures the relevant training metrics are the same across all devices.

• Have tried that before without success. But i agree with you , it screw up the statistic. Will give it another attempt today, Maybe i have to turn the watch and put it further up the forearm to ensure the sensor stay in touch all the time. By the way, i think the intensy minutes recommandation now is updated to 300 per week by the health organisation. Thank you for your help.

Edit. Did a  two hour indoor ride today with the fenix up on the forearm without starting any activity. Both devices was at zero recovery time when i started. During the ride the fenix said recovery increased by high activity. When finith the Edge showed 67 hour recovery wich i believe to be true , while the fenix said recovery 19 hour. I synced the edge before i started, and as the first device after the workout. After i synced the fenix. Now both devices say 19 hour recovery. My understanding of the physio true up was that the fenix also should tell 67 hour of recovery. I gave the intensy minutes though. If this is how the physio true up is supposed to work i rest my case.

• Will there be an update for the Edge 1030 Plus since the Edge 1040 Solar is able to calculate the Intensity Minutes? I really would appreciate that!