This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin keeps avoiding ferries

My garmin edge 1030 plus keeps avoiding ferries. No matter what I try.

This is very frustrating as I live in Santpoort in the Netherlands.

Trying to navigate to Wijk aan Zee, the Garmin is routing me via the bridge on the far east of Amsterdam!!!

See the screenshot below....

There are about 4 ferries in between, which the garmin could have chosen.....

Offcourse I disabled avoiding anything and I even tried to set it to pedestrian but nothing worked.

• 2 months gone and still no fix. Does that means you are not going to fix it? Any smaller company would fix that issue immediately, but Garmin doesn't care...

• Just install OpenFietsmap. Issues gone :)

• It appears the issue is with the map. Garmin releases updates to the map once or twice a year.

If the OpenFietsmap doesn't have the same problem, you should consider using that map in the meantime.

• Yea, I can use another device and it will solve the issue :D If they break something, they have to fix it and 3 months is really long period. Otherwise I can return it within warranty period.

• We are talking about using different maps (not a different device).

Using another device might fix it or not. Or, you'll have a different problem.

Garmin (or any company) isn't going to have releases for every different fix. That is, they would collect them and release them together.

With the Garmins, one has the option of using alternative maps. That's not the case for other companies.

• Hello,

Yesterday I purchased an Edge 830. You can imagine how disappointed I was when I found out it didn't include my local ferry in the route.

I was even more disappointed when I found this thread from over a year ago.

When will this problem be resolved? I am seriously considering just returning the product.

• In my honest opinion, don’t buy a Garmin for navigation. Maps are not accurate and don’t contain cycle paths. I purchased my first one 10 years ago, and my problem was already present at that moment, they didn’t fix it in 10 years! Yes you can use open cycle maps which is way better! But routing is getting even slower and you often need to wait 2 minutes for the calculations. 

So if you want a device for navigating , put your iPhone on your stem. It is fast, accurate and moreover has a screen with enough pixels so you can actually see were you need to go (another drawback of garmin).

What I like about the Garmin is the battery life , for the rest I don’t understand the fuzz about garmins and wished I would have returned my 1030 plus when I still could.

cheers,

niels

• Garmin cycle maps are based on OpenStreetMap data.  If there is something missing in the Garmin map check the OSM map.  If it is missing in OSM you can add it and eventually it will show in the Garmin maps.  If it is there in OSM it will eventually show up in the Garmin maps.

• Maps are not accurate and don’t contain cycle paths.

???

The Garmins now all use Openstreetmap and include cycle paths. They are the same as the open cycle maps (which also use Openstreetmap data).

Garmin's update frequency is roughly two times a year, which might not be quite as frequent as some people might like but it's generally good enough.

• Yesterday I purchased an Edge 830. You can imagine how disappointed I was when I found out it didn't include my local ferry in the route.

The Garmin maps are based on Openstreetmap, which use basically crowd-sourced updates.

Where is this ferry?