This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

What happend to the larger cursor in Version 5?

There was the option to turn on a larger cursor in version 4. Was this removed? This was a really useful function.

Please help

• too useful. I hate Garmin. They fix one thing and break two

• „High contrast“ setting has moved to
    profile - navigation - maps - mapthemes

There are 3 options:
    -classic    (original map whithout changes)
    -high contrast  (bigger triangle cursor BUT nearly no colors anymore)
    -mountainbike  (nearly no colors or textures)

• Thank you for the hint! I found the menu. The trade offs, however, make little sense. I would like to have the classic map AND a big triangle (black frame, white content). 

• I tried to edit the XML maptheme file for high contrast, eliminating all the color altering stuff, to get classic with bigger triangle. But I was not successful. It always recovers the original file Tired face

• A classic example of when someone wants to improve something, it makes it worse.

• Same here. The position triangle is too small. I would love to see it bigger and in a different color. 

• I‘ve got an answer from beta team how to edit mapthemes xml files:

Hi Andreas,
    You should copy one of the existing mapthemes and rename it. The original, preloaded files are automatically restored at boot.

If I’m successful, I will post it here.

• I will be very interested in your editing success, I have in the past tried to use the "Map Visibility" settings to change the map (mainly to reduce clutter) but none of the changes make any difference to the map. With the latest FW and the introduction of the Map themes Garmin seems to have moved options to another level of abstraction, if I could make changes via the XML editing  that might achieve the same result

PS I had gone back to the older FW version so had to dig through some backup for the MAPThemes files, could only find some of the beta version ones so they may have changed in production. I have 4 files for Classic, Mountain, High Vis & Popularity High Vis, I can only recall seeing 3 in the betas so the 4th must be when the Popularity switch is enabled. They seem consistent except Classic which has different "style Fields" to the others? I notice separate style fields for "Bog" & "Floating Bog" neither of which I find on the road!

Good Luck with your tinkering

• Let me know what you find out. Garmin should just offer–again–the large cursor option. I don't understand the need to play "where is Waldo" every time I look at the display. When you follow a Trailforks trail (black) the version 5 cursor is barely wider and about as dark as that trail. Terrible.

• Can you check if you can place a cirkel around the current triangle? That would also help to compensate the small triangle.