This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Change course clockwise/counter clockwise

Is it possible to ride a course in the opposite direction? I would like that option before starting the course.

• You can reverse the direction in Garmin Connect and send it back to the 1030.

• In my experience, not all routes can be reversed using Garmin Connect Mobile,  It all depends on what platform the route was created.

• Is a "must have" in device option I missed many many times.

• In my experience, not all routes can be reversed using Garmin Connect Mobile,  It all depends on what platform the route was created.

It shouldn't depend on the platform at all. All the platforms produce equivalent tracks and there's no magic information that one platform adds.

All of the platforms produce a track which is a list coordinates in a particular order. Each point is given a timestamp (later points have later times).

Reversing a track is simple: just write points in reverse order and update the timestamps (based on a given speed; it doesn't matter what speed).

One issue is that the reversed track might have issues with "turn guidance".

Things like oneway streets or divided highways can trip-up calculating the "turn guidance" calculation.

• There was a discussion a few years ago about reversing routes and I don't recall why some routes can't be reversed in Garmin Connect. I just checked my routes in Connect and found that the only routes that can't be reversed are ones that I brought over from Ridewithgps.

• I suspect Connect retains extra information** when you use it to plan a route which it uses when reversing it.

Imported routes (from anywhere) don't have this extra information.

The Edges "walk" the track to create the "turn guidance". They could do that with a reversed track too.

Garmin Connect could do the same thing (but doesn't, it appears).

It's really more related to how Connect implements reversing a course rather than where the data comes from.

=======================

** This extra information is likely the "control points" (the places you click on the map to create the route). 

The FIT/TCX/GPS files (from any platform) don't contain that information.

• This option is available in example Garmin Fenix 5 plus. Should be easy to implement to 1030 too.

• From what I can tell the fēnix 6X watch just reverses the track of the course and does not take into account one-way roads and other direction related restrictions.

• It would be hard to take into account one-way roads and other direction related restrictions. Just reversing the track points would generally be enough.

• It is possibly a legal liability issue. Sooner or later some rider, slavishly following the directions on the device, goes the wrong way down a one-way street and ends up as road kill.

There are also those complex junctions where in one direction it is a simple left or right turn, but in the opposite direction it is a series of turns. And in the UK there are roundabouts and gyratory systems.

It's doable, but the Edge would have to recalculate the course (in effect creating a new course) and route around any directional restrictions and hazards.