This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

When will be a next release of a new edge 1030 model?

Hi, I wanted to buy Garmin edge 1030 but then I supposed that maybe Garmin is going to present a new model this season. 

• Software is the same across models, it will be released for all , this is the first beta released only for +

That doesn't seem to be true.

Features added a while ago (over a year) to the 1030+ were supposed to be added to the 1030 but haven't been.

I expect that the 1030+ features will be added to the 830 and the 530 but not to the 1030.

Besides loading courses that takes some time, navigation is rock solid...i am not sure how it can be faster...

The 1030+ handles going off course better than the 1030. I ride with my wife who has the 1030. So, I have lots of opportunity to compare the two. For normal navigation, the speed doesn't matter. For calculating alternative routes during navigation, extra speed is an advantage.

I dont know but my 1030 it was replaced, and it seems another revision ,after the replacement due to warranty, seems faster

Garmin didn't change the hardware (CPU). So, either the speed is due to differences in firmware or your impressions are not accurate.

• It has different display (dif revision) that cand be pinched and rotate (map) with 2 fingers 

On others 1030 I cannot do this

I dont care about gimmics, firmware is the same, meaning that the 830, 1030 , 1030+ share the same FW platform

What I can say that if the competition (wahoo, karoo, etc) will raise the bar , then for sure garmin will release new version sooner 

For the off course, i always display the course then stop the navigation for the current course, depending on the distance, either I can guide visually, either I tap on the map to navigate to the closest point

Until garmin will release navigation logic as google map and instant recalculation, nothing is fooling me, i have garmins and 1030 has the same behaviour as edge 705 ...

• I dont care about gimmics, firmware is the same, meaning that the 830, 1030 , 1030+ share the same FW platform

The firmware is similar but not the same.

It has different display (dif revision) that cand be pinched and rotate (map) with 2 fingers 

The display was changed for the 1030. The original display had the "blue halo" problem.

I'm not certain but I think the rotate map thing was changed in firmware.

What I can say that if the competition (wahoo, karoo, etc) will raise the bar , then for sure garmin will release new version sooner

Wahoo did kick Garmin a bit. I don't think Wahoo's navigation (even now) is up to what the Garmin 1030 does. Karoo is interesting. When I tried one a few years ago, it gave me the impression of being designed by people who never used navigation when riding. I bet it's much better now but it's not without problems either.

For the off course, i always display the course then stop the navigation for the current course, depending on the distance, either I can guide visually, either I tap on the map to navigate to the closest point

This is a perfectly reasonable way to do navigation. It doesn't mean the 1030+ doesn't do things better than the 1030. Nor does it mean you need what the 1030+ does better.

Until garmin will release navigation logic as google map and instant recalculation, nothing is fooling me,

Google uses heavy-duty, power-hungry computers in the cloud to do all that.

The Garmins are using slow CPUs to use very-little power and be of an acceptable size.

• Every Garmin Edge I have ever owned has shown unrealistically high temperatures (that's 705, 800, 1000, 1030, and 1030 Plus).  I don't think they can compensate for full sunlight shining on the unit and raising the internal temp.

The battery life is the major improvement.  Garmin claimed 20 hours for the 1030, and claims 24 for the 1030 Plus.  But then, they have a table showing that low load (few sensors, not navigating) can extend life up to 48 hours.  I have run mine for over 53 hours before charging - twice.  And using the External Battery Pack, I ran the 1030 Plus for a total of 140 hours without recharging.

The faster processor is noticeable.  I used to turn on my 1030 while I was still in the garage, finish putting on my helmet and gloves, then roll the bike outside and have to check if satellites had been found.  With the 1030 Plus, the unit is ready to roll in half the time, or less.  Calculating routes is also noticeably faster.

And, yes, the case is black!

• Doh! Forgot about the increased battery runtime.

• I think the 1030+ still has the washed out color of 1030? When you put 830 and 1030+ side by side the contrast on 830 is much better. The blue halo? It is a problem to be solved rather than a weakness/feature to be improved.

When people is waiting for next flagship release, they're not abandoning the brand. In fact, they are hopeful that Garmin is able to lead the market. Don't feel bad about it.

• When people is waiting for next flagship release, they're not abandoning the brand. In fact, they are hopeful that Garmin is able to lead the market. Don't feel bad about it.

???

Who feels bad about anything?

• I have 1030 and 1030+ at the same time. In the place where I live, I can confirm that the 1030 satellite positioning speed is much faster than 1030+, and the re-satellite positioning is at least 4 seconds faster after exiting the tunnel.

• Yes, same display, hope that Garmin will add an non reflective display , as Wahoo Roam , or something different

• so will I feel the difference between 1030 and 1030+?