This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Elevation constantly wrong at start up

Every time I power up my 1030+ and it locks to the satellites, it shows my elevation as 1m, when it should be a 15m in reality. This also happens regardless of my location. I've tried to save my start location (home) and assigned an elevation value of 15m in hopes that the device will recognise this and capture the elevation of my start location - to no avail. The elevation has been cross-checked against multiple other sources (mobile phone, fenix, other elevation apps etc)

The replacement unit that Garmin gave me has the same issue. Once I've manually calibrated my elevation though, the unit tracks wonderfully.

Is this a known issue? Having to manually tell my expensive device my elevation at start up is really unacceptable.

• What happens if you wait about 15 min after getting a satfix and leaving the device under open sky?
    Does the elevation go up in direction 15 m?

• No, I've never waited that long. Longest I've waited is 5mins.

What I've since noticed is that on the default Garmin map for Singapore, no matter the location of the dropped pin on the map, the default elevation is 1 metre, while the elevation for a dropped pin in Australia is accurate.

Is this issue with elevation in the Garmin SG maps a known issue? And does the Garmin map affect elevation at start up?

• If you have a saved location and you start an activity at that location the unit will change the elevation to the elevation of the saved location.

I have saved my home location and inputted the correct altitude.  When I start an activity from my home I see a brief message pop up saying elevation calibrated to home (the name I gave the location).  Does this not happen with your 1030+?

If you manually calibrate the altitude it will change it immediately to the value you inputted but for the auto calibration by location you need to start an activity.

• Yes, I've saved my common start location's elevation, and the unit now adjusts for elevation at the start. 

However, if I do this anywhere else, the elevation starts at 1m. What I've since noticed is that on the default Garmin map for Singapore, no matter the location of the dropped pin on the map, the default elevation is 1 metre, while the elevation for a dropped pin in Australia is accurate. I wonder if that's the reason why the unit keeps indicating elevation at start up being 1m.

• Does it really matter what the elevation value actually is?  I never pay attention to it.  If you want an accurate-ish elevation profile surely as long as the relative values are good the absolute values don't really matter.