This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to follow exactly a downloaded track with many track points

I have a track for a long trip 200k following roads, and partly offroad. It consists of 700 track points. 
with my oregon600 I navigate the track which is indicated with a fat line on screen without any rerouting. Of course I don’t get any turn by turn navigation (only nice to have for me) but the remaining distance is accurately calculated while riding. This works very fine. 
now ... I’m considering the purchase of a edge 1030plus. Is the same behaviour as on my Oregon possible or will the device reroute instead of respecting the track points.  ? If not ... can I still see the original track based on the 700 track points ?

thanks !

• The Edge 1030 Plus works exactly the described way if you turn off „turn by turn guidance“.
    With guidance enabled you will get turn navigation which might reroute you sometimes (if there is no street available for example). But anyway - you still can see the original track.

• Thanks a lot for your reaction ! That looks fine ! Then there is something I don’t understand from the specs. The device has only 200 waypoints but is still capable of storing and respecting the 700 trackpoints in my trip ? Or are these still track points as on a Oregon ?

• A simple track consits of trackpoints. They are the base of the „bread crumb“ line (thick magenta line on the map). A GPX file can have thousends of them - no problem for the Edge.
    To include Waypoints (Point of interest) into your bread crumb track is not so easy for Edge devices. It is possible but only using TCX format.

To be absolutely sure your GPX will work on Edge Plus you may zip one or two of them and upload it here so I can load it to my device.

• Hello, I use for export my route with many waypoints Locus. Export format is FIT. Garmin navigate and warning is on the display. Sound and text.

Working perfect.

• I switched from Oregon 700 to Edge 1030 plus and I did not regret this.
    On the 1030 plus I can load a GPX track file and the 1030 plus converts this into a course with added turn by turn navigation. If you don't want it then you can turn this off and then it behaves exact the same as if you were following a track on your Oregon.
    To have the same behavior on my Oregon I always spend a lot of time in Basecamp to convert the track to a route and even then it didn't work all the time as expected (limitations with max waypoints, map versions that should match in Basecamp/Oregon to avoid route recalculation on the Oregon,...).

Last weekend I rode into a oneway section and my 1030 plus was not really rerouting me. Instead it showed a fat white arrow covering that whole section on the map. The distance to destination was going up again but it recovered once I left that section. For bikes riding that section is allowed but the cycle map is based on the OSM that probably does not allow this. I also had the impression the total distance at start was not affected by this. The origin of my ride was a GPX file with track inside. I am not complaining because that is what I want. I don't want the 1030 plus to change the ride just because there is some small error on the map.

• The device has only 200 waypoints but is still capable of storing and respecting the 700 trackpoints in my trip

Yes.

The 1030+ can only have 200 locations (places you can have the device navigate to).

The Edges will have no problem using a 200k track.

• To include Waypoints (Point of interest) into your bread crumb track is not so easy for Edge devices. It is possible but only using TCX format.

You are talking about "course points". They are kind-of like waypoints.

They are easy to add using RWGPS but you need a paid subscription.

Both FIT and TCX formats support them.