This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Do you use the speed sensor?

I had not bought a "bundle" since the Edge 800, but when the 1030 Plus was announced, I decided to buy the bundle version.  I'm still using the heart rate monitor from the Edge 800 - I'm on my second strap.  So I thought might need a new HRM, and that the speed sensor might come in handy. 

Many of my rides pass under a freeway, and I lose the GPS signal while in the tunnel.  The Edge generally shows a frozen distance as I exit the tunnel, and after a few seconds, the distance jumps by 0.08 - 0.10 km.  I thought that using the speed sensor might give me a more accurate result.

I'm thinking of how to test this theory.  Since I still have an Edge 1030, I thought I'd ride with both the 1030 and the 1030 Plus.  I'll only pair the speed sensor with the 1030 Plus, and compare the resulting ride distances.  Is there a better way to see what the effect is on distance and speed?

• But do you have the elevation and altitute with the speed sensor? How does map register it with the speed sensor, do you loose it or the GPS trace the route as well?

• The speed sensor (really a distance sensor) just provides one input to the Edge computer it is paired with.  The Edge uses other means to calculate elevation and thus total ascent and descent.  Overall, you still have all the same information in the .FIT file after your ride.

• I am of the opinion that the manual input of the wheel circumference, ALWAYS calculates the more accurate speed and distance than the GPS signal.

By the way - for precise measurement of the wheel circumference I proceed as follows:

- Inflate tires to the desired air pressure
    - Place two A4 sheets (can be smaller) on the ground at a distance of about 2 meters.fix them
    - Draw a line across the tire with a felt pen.
    - Place the bike on the first A4 sheet with the line just drawn.
    - Use your body weight to move the bike forward until the felt-tip mark on the second sheet of paper leaves an imprint on the second sheet (don't worry, the felt-tip marker will not dry does not dry quickly on the tire).
    - Now just measure the distance between the two marks and enter it in the Garmin
    enter.