This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GPS not working after installing 3.0 - GPS FW Issue

Hi,

My Edge 1030 Plus downloaded version 3.0 and today I started getting this message: “GPS Firmware Updated Successfully”. The message keeps appearing on bottom of the screen and the 1030 does not connect to any satellites. 

When I go to GPS I have as options connecting to GPS, GPS + GLONASS and off. The Galileo option dissappeared.

The copyright info of the system says under GPS Version: 2.90 (!). I understand that the new version should be 4.50

I have tried connecting it to Garmin Express and it downloaded again the GPS FW update and I again installed it, but I still have the same problem. 

I have already Reset to Default Settings and nothing improved. 

Any ideas on how to correct this?

Is there a place where could I find the GPS FW update file to try to install it manually? 

Thanks for any help.

J

• Hi, 

Some more information. I did a full reset and the GPS started working. The SW version 3.0 was still there and the GPS version remains 2.90 (!).

I connected it to Garmin Express on my computer and had no notification of any updates available.

Then I paired the 1030 Plus with my phone and after setting up and syncing with Garmin Connect, it automatically pushed an update, which stalls almost at the end. The 1030 Plus then displays the message that it is updating the GPS FW, followed by “GPS FW updated successfully” which again keeps appearing at the bottom of the screen.

The GPS Version still displays 2.90 (!).

It looks to me that it is a broken update from Garmin Connect on my phone.

The problem is Garmin Express is not giving me the update, and I do not know how to find the broken update in Garmin Connect and try to get the right file. 

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

J

• GPS-software can be found in device \Garmin\RemoteSW

The file on my device (GPS [v3.0-it's my fault!] correct: v4.5) is named:  006B310706.GCD
    and has a size of  771,018 bytes.

For comparisation you can download from my webspace: http://mcinner.at/files/006B310706.ZIP

(In that folder on my device there is a second file named: CPE.BIN)

Edit: the GPS-file ist version 4.5!   See my next posting

• You need the GPS Version 4.50 ! Connect again to Garmin Express and search more then one time for new Updates.

• Sorry for mixing up. My post from before refers to  the latest GPS software - 4.5!

• Hi mcinner1,

Thanks for the advice. I did a second reset to the Edge 1030 and then deleted Garmin Connect from my iPhone. That stopped it from trying to update it. 

This lasted a week and today the update was pushed again through Garmin Connect and again I have the problem. Then I connected the Edge 1030 to my laptop and did the update with Garmin Express. I checked the device \Garmin\RemoteSW and I have the same files that you mentioned above: 006B310706.GCD and CPE.BIN.

I also have the two following files in that folder: 006B278703.GCD and GUP3107.GCD

The device has run the update but I still get the same message and I still have the 2.90 version. I should also say that in system I also have "EPO: Missing".

I ran the update through Garmin Express 3 more times and still I get the same error and GPS version keeps the same.

I tried deleting the files that were in \Garmin\RemoteSW and adding the ones that you sent me, and the Edge still runs the update and then I keep getting the same message and the GPS version remains 2.90 (!) and EPO: Missing.

Not sure whether the problem is with the Edge 1030, with the update, Garmin Connect, Garmin Express, or all of them.

As a separate note, I am about to do a charity ride and need the GPS to work for both training and for the ride itself.

Any help will be appreciated.

J

• I‘m not an expert in that fields, but I read that deleting 2 files on your Edge folder /Garmin my help to clear things if there are problems with software versions: 

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/cycling/f/edge-1030/174839/help---stuck-on-5-00-not-showing-available-updates/930308#930308
    (
    last posting from Aweatheral)

(the 2 files are rebuilt during booting)

• Hi Mcninner1,

Thanks for the advice. I tried it and still no joy Disappointed

I just saw in another post that someone else has the same issue.

I'm wondering if there is a way to reset the Edge 1030 plus to original factory settings (i.e., no updates) and then run the updates again. When I did the reset in the past the updates were not reset. 

Not sure what else to do. Hopefully there is a fix for this. 

Thanks

Jose

• Hi Jose,

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the same issue but stuck on 4.5 and can't get to 4.8.

Cheers,

Simon

• Hi Simon,

I tried all the solutions without success, so I called Garmin where someone tried to help me resolve the issue over the phone. Basically he asked me to do a few of the things I had already done as per the suggestions in these forums.

When it became clear that nothing was working I asked to send the device back for an exchange. Although there was a bit of pushback at first the person on the phone understood that it was the best option.

Before sending the device back I was asked to provide some logs and other information in the device via email so that the Garmin team could try to understand where the issue was coming and resolve it for future updates. 

Also to let you know, if you are in the UK the process took 10 days from the date on which the device was delivered to the date on which I received the new device. I mention this because in my case I had an important ride within those 10 days and was hopeful to receive the exchange 1030+ on time for it, but that did not happened. I received the new device on the 10th day.

Good luck with sorting out this issue.

Cheers,

Jose

• Hi Jose,

Thanks for the update. Garmin have now raised a full support case for mine and I have asked for a replacement unit as like you I have tried everything.

One question I have, did Garmin ask for a copy of your sales receipt/invoice? I ask as I can't find mine.

Thanks,

Simon