This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

1030 plus with power meter and calories

Hello

I dont understand and have issues with edge 1030 plus when using power meter  ( powerpod)

when use only fenix 6x por r edge1030 I get good calories, but when using power meter, the calories are going super super low, like 3 or even 4 times less!

also how does the gamin calculate calories when using power mode?  only KJ from the power?  no hear rate? 

please take a look at those statistics

this is with power pod

https://www.strava.com/activities/3709945981

this is from fenix ( the same route) no power pod

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/5184374742?share_unique_id=29

and this is video that shows how it works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsrQwMWFx9E

so my questions are

- why there is such a huge difference in calories?  is powerpod bad?  not calculating good?

- how does garmin calculate calories without the power meter?     vs with a power meter.,   because it looks for me, it takes KJ from power meter only?  

please help

• If the unit is paired with a power meter then yes it takes the Total Work in KJ reported by the power meter and uses that for the calories value.

The powerpod is not a power meter in the traditional sense as it is not measuring force on the cranks or pedals, but is working backwards from velocity and having to make assumptions about drag and rolling resistance. 

• Thank you for the answer, so it looks like the total calories are only from KJ.

it is different than working without the power meter.

so is there any way to have it added "reamaining "calories

What I am trying to say,  I burned more than 170 calories, only small portion of this was used to pedal, 

do I have it configured wrong, or training with power meter will always show only that portion vs bigger estimated value when training without the power meter.

• The value produced from an actual power meter should be the most accurate is it is a measurement of the actual work done. 

To get from KJ to calories the Edge assumes the human body is 25% efficient so the extra calories are accounted for.

Values based of HR, speed and elevation change are estimates and tend not to be as accurate.

The question here is how good an estimate of power is the powerpod producing.

• I agree.  But

I send the log file from powerpod to their support 

They claim it was all good.  I think it is a bs , here is why

According to them in 36 minutes I ised 172kj

172kj is 172 calories. And tbis is what strava says now just seating and doing nothing you burn 6 callories per minut.  So it ia 36 minutes workout × 6 caloriea =216 calories 

But I was working out.  So obviously I burned more then 6 calories per minute. Even not adding extra workout callories it calculated 172 calories where it should be 216 minimum 

Am I right ?

• I suspect the PowerPod is not giving you realistic power values. 

172 KJ in 36 minutes is an average power of 80 watts, which is a very small number unless you are a small rider and you were taking it easy.