This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Asia maps and CJK support?

Currently a 1030 user and the 1030 Plus looks like a good upgrade.

Are Asia maps included? Can Chinese / Japanese / Korean characters be displayed in the maps?

• Not on mine.  I didn't see any Asian maps included.

I lived in Asia for a few years and I downloaded free OSM maps to my old (US purchased) Edge 1000.  They worked without any problem.  I haven't tried this yet with my 1030+, but I assume it would work the same way.  There are several choices of OSM map packages you can find for free.  Using Japan as an example, some maps are compiled in Romanji and some are compiled in Kanji.  It depends upon which website you download from.

Here's a good place to start:  http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl

I hope this helps!

• Thanks for checking. I hope the Taiwan / Hong Kong version would include Asia region maps.

For the OSM I have my own script to create the gmapsupp.img as I need to display Chinese characters. The maps downloaded from garmin.openstreetmap.nl default the map object names/language to "en".

• I know Garmin does sell versions in Asia in local languages.  I had seen them at bike shows when I lived there.  So I know they exist.  But I'm not sure which countries Garmin supports.  I would try to reach out to Garmin's Customer Service in Singapore.  Maybe they can give you some helpful advice.

Asia - Consumer Products

(for all Garmin products except aviation)

Monday – Friday: 9 AM – 5 PM (GMT+8)
    Singapore Toll Free Number: 800-8861-072 ( Only for domestic calls )
    Closed on weekends and national holidays.
    E-mail: [email protected]

• Hi, I have the Edge 1030 Plus Asia bought it from Beijing. The unit came with the Garmin Maps for China  and they do come in Chinese Characters. I cannot say the same for Japan and Korea but knowing Garmin they usually release Units that caters to the needs of these Countries.

• Hi, I am not sure if you can get the Chinese Maps for the Version of Edge 1030 Plus that you will buy outside Asia. But I can confirm to you that the Edge 1030 plus Asia Unit that I bought here in Beijing comes pre installed with  the Chinese Base Map and in Chinese Characters as well.

• I use OSM on my 830, Thailand maps. No problem, only be sure u use the link above if you want them in english.

• Hi, I'm trying to buy a Edge 800-1000 series in China (local Chinese model), since I live in Dongguan: if I get maps of Europe, will they work properly when I use the Edge on my bike in Italy later this year?

I'm asking because my car GPS Nuvi 1250 (Europen model) is NOT ok with Chinese maps (as in unusable), due to the local shifting imposed by the Chinese Government

• I just got an email from Garmin charge of no Asian maps on North American Edge devices. They said Asian maps are not available, so suck up it up, on so many words. I’ve decided to switch to a Hammerhead Karoo 2 which supports maps from all around the world. It also works with my RTL510 Radar, so I’m happy. It should also fix the numerous navigation problems I’ve been having in additional Weather Strong Wind warnings every ride on no wind days.