This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Rubber cover for Edge 1000 power switch

I need to source a power button for my Edge 1000.
Previous posts have suggested buying a back cover, but the only ones I can find on eBay do not come with the rubber cover for the on/off switch. There are buttons/covers being advertised from Netherlands and USA, but the price is excessive.
I'm not keen on DIY fixes, or non-genuine 3D printed items.
Given this appears to be a common porblem with the Edge 1000, can I buy direct from Garmin?
Or is anyone aware of a source in the UK?

• I got the Chinese back panel, and fitted it wit help from YouTube videos. No help at all from Garmin. Now the unit is working, I am thinking of selling it and getting a 1030. Edge 1000's are selling for anywhere between £100 and £200 on eBay in the UK, and Wiggle are listing the 1030 at £299 (though currently out of stock).

Garmins "trade in" offer was £384 and send my unit back. That is taking the mick. And why send it back? They've said they can't repair it and won't offer a refurb? Someone is telling porkies.

Garmin's service is appalling, but I like the infrastructure and the unit, so Wahoo will have to wait a little while.

• Thanks. As above, I fixed it with back plate from China. Somewhat cheaper than this on I'm afraid.

• Do you mind me asking who on eBay you bought from and was there any UK import charges? I need to source one for my unit.

• I don't mind you asking, it was esongsing, but recommend you search yourself. And yes, I was stitched up good and proper by Royal Mail over import charges. Explanation - the sellers small print says there may be charges, but there is no indication of what they might be. Turns out that the import charge for this item (value £24.99) was £3.10, but the real stinger is the "handling charge" of £8. I had good response from the seller who refunded the import charges but not the Royal Mail charge.
    Lesson here - either volunteer to pay the charges up-front (not sure how you would do that) or be prepared for an unexpected bit of profiteering from Royal Mail - if you are in the UK.

Latest - be prepared for some intricate soldering. It is not an easy fix. While it fixed the Garmin 1000, it is showing some curious results, not connecting to Varia radar, not recording rides properly. So I threw the towel in and bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. I still want a Garmin, but the Elemnt is somewhat less than half the price and works. But I don't like the buttons and the screen is too small for my myopic eyes...

• If you are replacing the back where does intricate soldering come into the equation or are you replacing the actual micro switch on the motherboard 

• The speaker wires have to be removed from the old back panel and re-soldered onto the new one, and they are VERY close together, hence intricate. The speaker is in the back panel that you are replacing.

• There is another option instead of soldering, you can used a hot glue gun to coat the wires to prevent any chance of a short.  I've seen that technique done on an Edge 500 when replacing the battery.   The other option is to purchase a back case that includes the battery.  Several options showing up from China on AliExpress and eBay.  Getting a complete new back is a more secure option from a water resilience point of view.    Getting hit with import charges are hit or miss I've found for items more than £15.  I've noticed a few times that the shipper puts the value quite low, which must be their wholesale cost, and it gets through with no issues or charges.

• Thanks for your trouble drdaveuk. As mentioined, I'm afraid that I gave up with Garmin and bought a Wahoo Elemnt Bolt. Initially, I wasn't over keen, but it has grown on me, and at the moment I wouldn't now consider a Garmin unit. However, I have yet to experience Wahoo's support...

The Garmin unit is great, but the support is derisory, and I can't forgive that.

And for interest, there is another make that has come to my attention - Hammerhead. Looks fantastic, but will wait until I've seen a few reviews.