This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Does the new Speed Sensor report speeds with the GPS turned on?

I have a question and hopefully someone knows the answer.

I purchased the new Speed Sensor for the Edge 25 (And yes, we all know that it has software/firmware issues with v2.5), and when it is working and paired, I don't see a major difference/accuracy in the reported speed. So my questions is, when the GPS is turned on - does the Garmin ignore the speed sensor and just utilize the GPS data for speed? Therefore the speed sensor is only really needed if you are using a trainer with the GPS turned off.

I've been testing out the new Edge 25 with the last few weeks and comparing it with my Sigma for accuracy.

-Eric

Garmin Edge 25 (v2.50)
Garmin Bike Speed Sensor and Cadence Sensor (new, magnet-less)
  • The data from the speed sensor will take priority over the data from the GPS when the Edge is computing speed/distance.
  • The data from the speed sensor will take priority over the data from the GPS when the Edge is computing speed/distance.

I lost my edge 510 in a race so i purchased the Edge 25 due to limited budget. The forst thing i noticed and didnt like was that as soon as i paired the cg10 spd/cad sensor the Edge25 ignored the GPS metering of the speed and the speed indication without the magnet attached to my wheel was totally absent :( Ofcourse as soon as i used the magnet on the wheel i had the speed measurement again.
    Anyways this is very strange because on my previous (lost) Edge 510 i was using the speed/cad sensor only to measure the cadence ONLY and i was getting speed measurement through the gps unit. I actually didnt like the magnet use at all.
    What a pitty... I see no logic in this kind of situation.
  • It sounds like the Edge 25 is using different logic from the other Edge units.
  • I can't say what the Edge 25 does but all the previous models required an actual distance/speed value coming from the wheel sensor before using it as the source. It would be unfortunate if the 25 didn't require an actual value coming from the sensor before using it. Models in the past have required a timeout of several minutes before reverting to GPS if the sensor input is lost after being detected. Any chance that the sensor had been triggered and the timeout hadn't expired?