This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

(Un)Reliability of the magnetless sensors

Hi,

Please see https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/718866279

WTF? :mad: What could be causing this? The cadence sensor not picking up for about 25 minutes and the speed sensor cutting out so frequently I'm sure I did more than the 14 miles recorded.

Did a reset and factory reset prior to pairing so there wasn't any confusion with the GSC10. Removed the battery and the the GSC10 itself from the bike. Made sure the Edge 500 software was up to date also.

Hopefully this is a quick fix ....

Thanks in advance.

Moose
  • Hi,

Here is last night's spin: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/722527612

It appears the WIFI is the culprit. The drops that did occur were when I slowed my pedaling or stopped altogether (there is no gliding on a trainer). I'm going to try one more thing just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm going to turn bluetooth back on the phone and the Vivosmart, leave WIFI off (at great personal peril :D ) to see what happens.

If I move the WIFI base (broadcaster, whatever the thing is called) upstairs away from the trainers would/should that make a difference?

Thanks!

Moose
  • Before you move the Wi-Fi router what channel is it using? Try using a channel in the range 1 to 6.
  • Hi,

It's an Apple Airport. We installed it quite some time ago. Can we change the channels on it? Can we change the frequency it broadcasts at, so it doesn't interfere with the ANT+ and Bluetooth? How?

Moose
  • Depends on how old it is. If it's actually an "Airport", then it's really old, and probably limited to several channels in the 2.4 GHz band. These days Apple has the "Extreme" and the "Express", and for both the recent versions will do 5 GHz as well as 2.4GHz on various channels. Most modern phones can also use 5GHz as well as 2.4 for WiFi. Try opening AirPort Utility (in Applications/Utilities) and see what options it gives for it. My Extreme is showing 11 channels for 2.4 GHz and 8 for 5 GHz.
  • Hi,

Didn't ride yesterday so no update on original issue.

It is an Airport. My wife went into settings and there is nothing in there that would allow her to alter the channels.

Thanks in advance.

Heading out to get longer cables ....

Tony
  • Hi,

Yesterday's ride: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/724116226

That is with WIFI off, bluetooth on. Conclusion is WIFI is the culprit. So I think we can put this to bed. I am going to try 1 last thing anyway. I'll be moving the router further away from where the bike is. This will kill 2 birds with 1 stone for me. Moving the WIFI has been on the honey-do list for a bit, so I'll knock that off, and we'll find out if moving it has an effect.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Moose.
  • Hi,

The mystery continues. I forgot to shutdown the WIFI the other night .... not a lick of trouble. I wonder if just recycling the WIFI was enough to eliminate the problem(s)?

Moose