This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GSC 10 new battery discharged after 5 days

Fooled myself. My original GSC 10 battery lasted over 2 years. Figured I should proactively replace it. I replaced it and the new one died on my 2nd ride. (About 5 days). I am guessing that it "forgot" how to power down. Looked for some information and found nothing useful. I have put another new battery in the unit and paired it again with my 500. There is no way to tell if the thing is powered down externally. I guess I will see how long this battery lasts. So the question is: Does anyone know if there is a procedure that needs to be performed during or after replacing the GSC 10 battery so that the unit powers down again after rides. I never had any issues with where the magnets were located for the past 2 years, never paid attention but typically the cadence magnet would not have been near the GSC10.
Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Could it be possible that you put the old one back in and threw away the new one? I've done that before. I've also bought dead batteries before.

As far as the unit turning off..... I seen posts that some say you should make sure that the magnets are not near the sensors when you put the bike away. Not sure if there is any truth to it, but I do try to pay attention to that and there have been a time or two when I found my GSC10 battery acting low and coincidentally I did note that the crank magnet was left over the sensor.
  • Thanks for your response. I still have the old battery and it still measures 3v. The new one measured 3.2v when I put it in and 1.8v when it came out. So that's not it and as I said when I put the bike away between rides I know that the magnets are not near the sensor.
  • Maybe it's just a duff battery. Try a new, new one and see,
  • Did you put the battery in the wrong way round before installing it the correct way?
    It resets the GSC10.
  • I don't know if this is correct, but I have heard people report that if you store the bike with the left crank positioned so that it is triggering the cadence sensor or the wheel magnet is next to speed sensor that it keeps the GSC-10 awake and drains the battery as the sensing circuitry is open and drawing current.
  • I faced same Bobbogart problem's. My battery discharged in 1 day only after first replacement.
    Then I replaced it again. Again after 1 day battery was out. I tried the replacement third time. Again out after one day
    Just to be clear:
    for voicereponse: the batteries were new. I did not use the old one again
    for philipshmbrook: batteries were no duff. I bought them from different reliable dealers
    for 57 Dibbs: I put the batteries in the right way
    for aweatherall: left crank was away from sensor
    End of the story: the device was out of warranty period thus I was discouraged to send device for Garmin maintenance. I bought new sensor
    Lesson learnt: GSC 10 life less than two years but enough to be out of guarantee
    Bottom line: If I wish to get speed/cadence feed backs during my cycling training I have to put in my budget every two years:
    1. about 40 euro for Garmin device
    2. 10+ euro for batteries trials
    Then I have to keep in mind that I will throw away in about 18 months a small piece of plastic with simple circuits board that cost me 50 euro. No good at all