This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GSC10 in the Rain

It started to rain almost immediately into my ride this afternoon - and continued for about the first 6 miles. Steady rain - more annoying than a deluge that would make me turn back - but I and the bike were getting plenty wet.

I put the Edge 510 in my rear pocket until the rain stopped. When I pulled it out and re-mounted it - I noticed that the cadence was not registering. I stopped after another five or six miles to see if a re-set of the GSC10 would do the trick - but I got no reaction when I pushed/held the white button.

Finished my ride - and once I got home - I put the bike on the stand, pushed/held the white button and the lights responded as expected. I am assuming that means it is working - but I didn't run it with the Edge to verify.

Garmin lists the GSC10 as Water Resistant to the standard of IPX7. Supposedly - it should be fine in rain and other incidental water.

I did a couple of searches but didn't see where anyone else is having this issue.

Common or not?
  • I don't believe there is any issue with the GSC 10 in the rain. The only possibility I can think of is the battery cover not being sealed. But even then I think it would need to be dried out before working if moisture had gotten inside. It could be that the magnet alignment is marginal. Check that the magnet is aligned with the line on the body of the sensor and that it is close enough. It should be 2 to 5 mm.
  • I've seen people complain about it; I think there's quite a bit on Amazon in the comments. But I don't think it's widespread. My GSC-10's are now both 3+ years old, and although I don't voluntarily ride in the rain, I have, and I ride on wet roads which sometimes amounts to the same thing. I've never had any trouble with mine.
  • Possible that the edge lost the signal while it was in your back pocket and never tried to look for it again. Pushing the reset on the gsc10 doesn't do anything to tell the edge to start looking for sensors.

IPx7 is nothing special, just that they can demonstrate a particular level of water resistance under a laboratory condition. Real world results vary greatly.
    FYI..... my first GSC10 may have gone bad due to water intrusion, but I think I damaged the o-ring when replacing the battery.... so my fault.
  • I've had a couple of GSC10's fail, water gets in and corrodes the circuit board (usually when they're just out of warranty) If you take one apart you'll find that there's a small breather whole under the rubber pad.
  • Kinda late to the thread... but I live in the US Pacific Northwest - South of Seattle. I chose to ride in the rain ALL THE TIME during the winter and I own two bikes with 2 different GSC-10s. I have NEVER had a water problem with either. One thing I might advise is to pick up some 'o-ring' grease from your local hardware store and when you replace the battery, spread a thin coat of that grease on the o-ring located in the cover. I don't recommend removing the o-ring itself incase it should rip.