This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

New Speed sensor - no lights, will not pair, no activity at all from sensor

I've already setup an Amazon return for it once, so I'm trying another. Can't seem to get any activity at all out of the new speed sensor. The cadence pairs up just fine (green lights aplenty when I move the pedals), but the speed sensor is just a hunk of plastic. I have two of them in front of me right now, the original and the Amazon replacement.

Same deal on both - replaced the batteries, and tried the usual battery trick where you flip the battery over that I always have to do with my HRM strap when I change the batteries. No dice at all. I also left the batteries out of each of them for about 10 minutes, after reading some "ship mode" posts, but that did nothing either.

Am I just extremely unlucky, or is there some other method that I'm supposed to get the sensor to wake up and pair with my Edge 500? I've spun the wheel a ton on the stand, and even went for a ~2 mile ride with each of them, still nothing.

Any insight would be great. I'm riding a century tomorrow and had hoped to be able to use these - two duds in a row is pretty disappointing.
  • lets try the 'obvious' things first :)

the wheel magnet and the mark on the sensor arm are inline and within 2-5mm of each other?

cheers
    Mike
  • Cheers man. I'm using the new Speed Sensor that's just the sensor itself - no magnets. (I can't seem to find a product number for it, which is why I didn't reference it, heh). It really is the "New Speed Sensor", haha. This one here:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Bike-Speed-Sensor-Cadence/dp/B00JM6DKUA
  • what device are you trying to teach the new Speed Sensor too? ***EDIT*** just noticed you mentioned in your original post that you are using an Edge500 - must have had a 'man look'!

I have read somewhere, and now can't find the thread, that you need to make sure that you are teaching your device a 'speed' sensor and not a 'speed/cadence' sensor.

cheers
    Mike
  • On the 500 you need to make sure that you are searching for separate speed and cadence sensors and not a combined Spd/Cadence sensor.

Select ANT+ Spd/Cad, then go to sensor details and select the "Spd and Cad Sensor" and not the "Spd/Cad Sensor", which is a combined sensor.
  • Yep, I've done that, thanks guys. Here's what I tried so far (apologies for not being clearer in my first post). I'm pairing with an Edge 500.

- I've tried it set to "Speed and Cadence", as well as just cadence, and just speed. Cadence pairs right up, but the speed sensors (both of them) do nothing at all when set to speed only, or "Speed and Cadence".

I'm concerned that nothing at all happens to either unit when I put the batteries back in. I have a rack of these batteries and have tried about a half dozen of them (thinking what the hell, why not) so I'm 99% sure that the batteries are good - mine, plus the two originals that the units shipped with. I just can't seem to get the sensor itself to go into pairing mode. No lights, no music, nothing at all happens when I put the batteries in.

Appreciate all the responses though - I feel like I'm not alone, haha! :D
  • Be sure to pair is as a "Speed and Cadence" in the ant setup of your profile not "spd/cad" as you would with a GSC10. Also be sure any other ant+ speed and/or cadence sensors are well out of range when pairing.
  • I'm assuming that you are spinning the wheel with the sensor on.

I have found that turning the sensor over in your hands might wake it up if spinning it on the wheel does not work for you.
  • I'm assuming that you are spinning the wheel with the sensor on.

I have found that turning the sensor over in your hands might wake it up if spinning it on the wheel does not work for you.

I've done everything short of juggle while standing on one foot with the sensor, yeah. On the wheel, off the wheel, went for a ride, etc, etc. I've taken both sensors off about a dozen times each, swapping batteries and such.
  • swapping batteries and such.

Well, I was going to suggest removing the batteries ... but you've already done that.

Not to be redundant ... but you've got your Edge 500 configured for separate speed & cadence sensors? Not a combo?

I can see where you might get one bad unit ... but two indicates, at least to me, a different problem.

Of course you could try contacting Garmin (although that hasn't helped me much).
  • mine refused point blank to pair with my 800 until .... this is going to sound weird ... I turned it around. with the little led
    facing/nearest the cassette it paired up straight away. now whether this was because of something else or not I couldn't
    say but I'd gone through all the steps you have (except sending it back ...). Go figure eh !!!!!