This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • Thanks.

Yes they are. They new sensors use a longer ANT+ ID so the ID will not show on the Edge 500 interface, but they will pair and operate with the 500.

That that explains why they paired but did not show up with their I.D.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 7 years ago
    Garmin speed sensor

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.

Mine was dead on arrival. Removed the battery several times, flipped the battery over, reinstalled, etc. Bought a new battery, completely changed out battery. Left it without a battery overnight. No dice. No lights. No activation upon installing on the wheel. Currently hoping Garmin will send me a replacement. Bummer.
  • I've seen a few people ask but haven't seen an awnswer - is it possible to buy replacement rubber band parts for the wireless speed sensor?
    All my searching seems to suggest I need to buy a complete new speed sensor which seems rediculous.
    If so, where from or a part number would be appreciated!
  • If so, where from or a part number would be appreciated!

It is called a "PMP, Speed Sleeve, BSCM" and the part number is 145-01940-00.

I've never seen one listed for sale anywhere though.
  • Try contacting Garmin support. They often carry small parts that cannot be found for retail.
  • Recently replaced GSC-10 and am finding cadence for the most part is accurate but I get random spikes and dips in RPM. Have to watch screen for a few seconds to get an accurate figure. I'm not sure if this purpose was wise considering I could have sourced another GSC-10.

Any suggestions to improve cadence?
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 6 years ago
    Magnet-less speed sensor off-road FAIL

Speed sensor does NOT record accurate distance if used off road on rough terrain (ie MTB). :(:mad: The accelerations of the wheel up and down caused by bumps in the trail are interpreted as additional wheel revolutions. A 23.5 mile ride last week was recorded as 27.1 miles. Real mileage verified 3 different ways.

Other user reports same here: https://m.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/2mcv8w/any_one_use_garmins_magnetless_sensor_on_their_mtb/cm7pwgn

Garmin, can you release a magnet based speed only sensor? The current offering is no good in the woods and not needed on the road (I guess there would be value if you wanted to use a trainer...).

Wheel size set manually and correct. If it is a magnetic field based reading, then perhaps another poster was closer to the issue: semi metallic disc brakes creating a magnetic field?

My speed sensor is not a Garmin (but a cheaper option) and I can clearly see erratic speed data when hitting bumps.
    If you could confirm this, it would mean that it uses accelerometer (as others makers declare).

I'm looking for alternatives, but if they're all accelerometer-based, I don't think that there's a magnetless sensor which can function properly in offroad riding.
  • The Garmin units does not use accelerometers to determine speed. The accelerometer in the Garmin speed sensor is used just to wake it up. The Garmin unit determines speed by detecting the movement of the sensor through the earths magnet field.

It can be negatively influenced by part of the drive chain being magnetized. This can be tested for by moving the sensor to the front wheel. If the issues go away then then part of the drive chain is magnetized.
  • Both the cadence and speed sensors are really not very accurate and they both have spikes and inconsistent readings. I can be coasting down a long hill and the speed sensor will jump from 30 to 19 to 0 to 25 to 30, etc. May cadence will vary as much as 10 rpm while I pedal steadily. This is not acceptable. I have returned to using magnet type sensors, much more stable and accurate.