This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • Same problem here with the speed sensor!

Have you since fixed the problem and if yes how? I have tried all possible solutions given here on the Forum but without success. This included different wheels, different bike, new chain, new cassette, two different units (Edge 520 and Forerunner 920 XT) etc. Also, two other people I know who use the same speed sensor (one with an Edge 520, one with an Edge 1000) all had exactly the same problems. We have all stopped using the speed sensor now and use GPS speed instead as the speed sensor is useless and only adds extra weight.
    I have send the speed sensor to Garmin already and was helped really well by the support team. However, their desk tests showed up nothing wrong with the speed sensor and so they send it back to me with the request of reporting any future problems and sending them the corresponding .FIT files. The first ride I did with the sensor immediately had false readings as well as the second and third ride after which I went back to GPS speed only. I have send them back the .FIT files of these activities about one month ago but since then the, previously very helpful, Garmin support has gone completely silent...?
    I don't see how of the only three people I know who use this sensor all three have the exact same problem (or to put it differently I don't know anyone in real life with a properly working speed sensor) while here on the Forum (almost) everyone's problems with the speed sensor seem to have been solved? Could it be location, living close to the equator or climate, very hot and sunny almost all the time? I don't know, I'm not a scientist but I suppose that Garmin might have a few on the pay roll. Please advice I like to have a more accurate speed sensor where GPS tends to auto pause at extremely steep and very slow climbs. Anyway, it should really just work, anywhere!

Guys, definitely gave up. My speed sensor began to broadcast inconsistent and volatile measures of speed, both indoor and outdoor. It happened to show shorter distances in my training sessions. Gave up and returned to use the GPS signal (with supposed to be less accurate). On indoor sessions, it just became useless as well.

Did anyone find a solution?
  • Guys, definitely gave up. My speed sensor began to broadcast inconsistent and volatile measures of speed, both indoor and outdoor. It happened to show shorter distances in my training sessions. Gave up and returned to use the GPS signal (with supposed to be less accurate). On indoor sessions, it just became useless as well.

Did anyone find a solution?

I'm also having the same problem- I have a steel framed bike with disc brakes. I've heard some people say that it can be cause part of the bike has become magnetized, so I wonder if other people who have steel bikes w/ disc brakes are having a problem.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    New speed sensor

Just got new magnet less cadence and speed sensor. Cadence works fine but speed sensor does not work, Tried new battery and the lights flashed, put back on bike and span wheel - no lights and no output. Any ideas?
    Thanks
  • Have you set a wheel size? If not then you will not get any speed reading from the sensor until the Edge has determined what your wheel size. This will require you to ride approximately 1 km on a reasonably straight road so that the Edge can use your GPS to workout a wheel size.
  • Help with 810 and speed/cadence sensors

Hey Everyone,
    I just bought the Garmin 810 a week ago. Its quite a bit of data all in one place. Anyway I bought the Speed/Cadence sensors (the new type, no magnets) and seem to be not doing it right. I can pair the cadence with no problems and at first the speed was paired but kicked out the cadence. I'm not sure which way to proceed. Do I use Speed & Cadence or Speed/Cadence and to they have to be done seperately? I'm wondering If I need to pull the batteries and start over. It will find the Cadence everytime but not the speed. Any tips would be awesume.
    Thanks,
    GM2469
  • Speed & Cadence. They need to be done separately.
  • Why is mine not working?

Sometimes my cadence sensor never wakes up... but other days it detects it without trying. I'm using a Garmin 920xt.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 8 years ago
    Edge 810 magnet less speed sensor inaccurate reading

my speed sensor was clearly inaccurate it only went up to 0.3km/h no matter how fast i went and it took me ages scouring the internet to find an answer. Most people suggest removing the battery or replacing it but it turned out all i had to do was input my wheel diameter manually which mine is 700 with 25c tire = 2105 (you can find out the circumference size of you wheel from the link below) You can find it by going to Bike Profile > (your bike name) > Wheel Size > Manual> then enter the wheel diameter mine was >0622 then that's it! Mine started working from there on; hope this helps out anyone encountering the same problem, cheers! :)

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/edge520/EN-US/GUID-DB0BC20A-DADF-41EB-A61C-14BEC158B43C.html
  • all i had to do was input my wheel diameter manually

Usually the wheel circumference is required. :confused:
  • Edge 500 won't detect speed sensor

Hi all. I got the magnetless speed & cadence sensors yesterday after my GSC 10 stopped working. I never had any issues with the GSC 10 but they are getting hard to come by. I did all of the setup/troubleshooting tricks mentioned here (remove/re-install battery, clean battery, select "speed & Cadence", putting it on the front hub) with no luck. The cadence sensor is working fine but still no success with speed sensor. The only thing I haven't tried is manually inputting wheel diameter. Where would I even do this on the 500?