This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • Issues with Magnet-less Speed & Cadence Sensors

I had issues with this device on my Garmin Edge 520 firmware upgraded Software Version 2.30.

I had my speed sensor mounted on rear hub, becos i need to hop on to trainer from time to time.

Both able to paired successfully to my device, but somehow it seems that the cadence sensor interfere with speed sensor, or vice versa god knows. The speed tend to varies & doesn't remain consistent whenever i ride on it. Even on bike stand, hand-pedal it with same amount of effort, speed tends to fluctuate -4 up to -10kph.

I setup a test in 2 scenarios:

1) Unpaired Speed Sensor, leaving only Cadence Sensor
    - Spin the crank, it displays speed on & off on my unit (how da hell it picks up speed???), cadence display correctly on my unit.

2) Unpaired Cadence Sensor, leaving only Speed Sensor
    - Spin the wheels, speed displays correctly while leaving the cadence no display.

I tried resetting the device to factory, pair again & run the 2 scenarios. It is still the same issue. This is frustrating whenever i see the speed fluctuates during ride & can't get the consistencies.

I tried pair up with my GSC-10, everything displays correctly & no fluctuations in cadence or speed when i hand-peddle to test it.

Does anyone experience this issue? Appreciate if anyone could share how to troubleshoot it?
  • The speed sensor detects the earth's magnetic field. It has been noted that a magnetized chain can interfere. Getting a correct reading when spinning the wheel but a false reading when the chain is moving indicates the problem is probably a magnetized chain.
  • Biggest issue I've had with them is the amount of time it takes for the cadence sensor to wake up. The speed sensor is on within a few rotations of the tire but the cadence sensor can take much much longer, sometimes I have to just start my ride and wait for the cadence sensor to turn on within 30 seconds of the ride start. Kinda annoying.

I have just purchased the Speed and Cadence sensors for my road bike and I seem to be experiencing the same issue where the cadence sensor takes a while to be recognised by my Edge 510.

Apart from that, the speed sensor is mounted on the rear hub and both work flawlessly with the 510 using latest version 4.20
  • The speed sensor detects the earth's magnetic field. It has been noted that a magnetized chain can interfere. Getting a correct reading when spinning the wheel but a false reading when the chain is moving indicates the problem is probably a magnetized chain.

So how to DE-magnetized chain to prevent this issue? I definitely need the speed sensor to b mounted on rear hub for indoor training purpose.
  • So how to DE-magnetized chain to prevent this issue? I definitely need the speed sensor to b mounted on rear hub for indoor training purpose.

You could pass your chain through a Demagnetiser (see link below)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-245116-Magnetiser-Demagnetiser-50-30mm/dp/B000WTLOBI
  • So how to DE-magnetized chain to prevent this issue? I definitely need the speed sensor to b mounted on rear hub for indoor training purpose.
    Unfortunately, magnetic trainers are an issue with that sensor so it may not work. I wonder if the chain was magnetized by the fields from a trainer.
  • speed sensor auto pause resume

I have the "new" speed sensor and have the auto pause/auto resume problem. It shorts the ride distance up to 5 miles on a 50 mile ride. I have tried most things. For me, the problem goes away when the sensor is placed on the front hub. Garmin was kind enough to send me a new sensor, however it did/does the same thing. Hope Garmin could/can fix the problem. I prefer the sensor on the rear hub for several reasons, but for now, will keep it on the front hub.
  • I also have the same issue with my 520 and speed sensor on the rear hub. I don't have a cadence sensor so that should not be the problem.

It gives inconsistent speed reading and auto pause/resume intermittently which is very annoying as I am not sure I can trust the data.

I never had this problem when using 500 with traditional wheel magnet. There seems to be a flaw in their new design. Hope they can improve it with software upgrade.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 9 years ago
    Setup:

Edge 520 (new today)
    Magnet-less speed sensor (on rear wheel and also new today)
    SRM (which does the cadence)

Problem: Speed jumping +/- 2-3km/h when speed is constant, and on occasion showing 0.00km/h---auto-pause, same as everyone else I guess.

Fix: Placing speed sensor on front wheel; no erratic speed variations and no 0.00km/h---auto-pause.

Bit poor really.
  • It could be that some part of the chain has gotten magnetized.

Has the bike ever been put in a shipping box? We had a bike where the chain got magnetized when the bike was shipped as the chain came too close to the SRM cadence magnet when it was slack. The magnetized section of the chain then caused speed jumps like the ones you are seeing.

One way to test the chain without having access to a Gaussmeter would be to place the sensor on the rear hub and then rotate the crank arm backwards. If you get a speed reading with the wheel stationary while the chain is rotating then some part of the chain is magnetized.