This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Any major issues with Garmin's new magnet less speed/cadence sensors?

I just ordered a set of magnet less speed/cadence sensors to mount on my bike and use with my Garmin 800.

Have any of you experienced any major issues (or any issues) with the new sensors?

Let me know what your experiences have been.

Thank you.
  • I'm also getting the auto pause on and off when there are bumps in the road.... also, when the road is smoother I feel that the speed measure is noisy.... No happy with the new magnet-less sensor I think I'll switch back to the one with the magnet...
  • for those who are having pair up/auto pause/on off issues, i strongly suggest you to update the firmware of your GPS machine/bike computer.

I bought an Edge 800 which bundled with GSC 10 speed/cadence sensor back in 2012. Recently I broke the magnetic stick of the sensor during one of my outings (ouch!) so that i took the chance to switch to the new magnet-less sensor. However my Edge 800 could not detect the sensors no matter what i did and therefore i landed on this thread. After some search i found that my Garmin Express software failed to search for the latest update for my Edge 800 and therefore I was stuck to version 2.50 for years. Then I updated to the newest version manually, and once it boot up after applying the update, the speed sensor being paired up at the very moment and the cadence sensor hook up after 10 seconds of paddling.

One thing to note, my machine is of Taiwanese version and I found that the firmware version is different from the English version. The latest version on the Taiwanese Garmin website is at 2.90 while the US one stays at 2.70.

comment on GSC10 and the new magnet-less sensors: I have zero problem with either. Garmin is most probably the only brand that I never have any complaint (except the price tag?) Nevertheless I would say the new magnet-less sensor is a great improvement of recording speed and cadence especially for heavy mountain biking. It saves up a lot of hassle in magnet and sensor alignment. It also saves a lot of packing trouble for bikes going on plane. For a mere 10 dollars difference from GSC10 I would highly recommend to my friends.
  • Speed sensor with a strange behavior

I'm facing some strange behavior from my speed sensor.

My GPS unit register speed reads at a lower frequency than any other sensor I had already linked to it. It's such a lower frequency so the tracking of the speed reads becomes useless.

• Can you post the FIT file for the ride?
  • Can you post the FIT file for the ride?

Here is the GPX file... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3q9bgdjghV-dDduNnFTRWRnYUU/view

You need a viewer where you can see the speed logged data from the sensor and not the calculated GPS speed.
  • You realty need the FIT file as that contains information about what source it is using for speed throughout the ride.
  • You realty need the FIT file as that contains information about what source it is using for speed throughout the ride.

I don't have the .fit file for my track and I haven't find a way to generate it from a TCX or GPX version.

If you open my GPX file using notepad, you may see a "<spd>" tag on it regarding the speed sensor reads. You may also note that speed reads is not present in all GPS reads.
  • Most track points do not have a speed value. They should all have one. We would need to see the FIT file to determine if there was a problem with the Edge.
    But I really think the problem occurred with the tool that you uploaded the activity to.

I used the Fit File Repair Tool to add speed values using the GPS position points. Here is the file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgzgw2yerb9c8k7/track_7225051-fixed.fit?dl=0
  • Most track points do not have a speed value. They should all have one. We would need to see the FIT file to determine if there was a problem with the Edge.
    But I really think the problem occurred with the tool that you uploaded the activity to.

I used the Fit File Repair Tool to add speed values using the GPS position points. Here is the file

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zgzgw2yerb9c8k7/track_7225051-fixed.fit?dl=0

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not using an Edge. My GPS unit is a Bryton Rider 20. It's works fine with the magnet version of sensors (Garmin and others) and well with the magnet-less cadence sensor from Garmin. The only problem is with the magnet-less speed sensor version from Garmin. All the the tracks I recorded with the magnet-less speed sensor gave me results like the one I cited.
  • It sounds like you might get more support by posting on the Bryton forum. The Garmin sensor is just sending a count of wheel clicks (revolutions). The issue is more likely at the head unit end it terms of how it is processing and storing this data.